• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaking of being old and out of touch...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of being old and out of touch...

Have never heard of this. And how can word of the year be a phrase rather than a word anyway?

The first Oxford word of the year to be chosen by public vote has been announced.

The winning word, "goblin mode", is a slang term describing "unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy" behaviour.

It was one of three potential choices selected by Oxford lexicographers.

Thousands managed to drag themselves out of goblin mode to vote, as the phrase won by a landslide with 318,956 votes, making up 93% of the total.

So, what does goblin mode mean exactly?

According to Oxford University Press, which publishes the Oxford English Dictionary, it is a slang term often used in the expressions such as "I am in goblin mode" or "to go goblin mode".

It went on to explain it as "a type of behaviour which is unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy, typically in a way that rejects social norms or expectations".
    The youth of today, get off my lawn, etc, etc.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Never heard it, unless it refers to some drunk woman at the Xmas office party.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Never heard it, unless it refers to some drunk woman at the Xmas office party.
      Goblin mode sounds like a service NLadyUK might offer.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm that old that I assumed it referred to a new function on a Teasmade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0_2417_2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	4245135
        England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
          I'm that old that I assumed it referred to a new function on a Teasmade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0_2417_2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	4245135
          I never understood those. Didn't you get stewed tea?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Not really, it only added the water when the alarm went off. Not that I've used one in decades. They used to be in every B&B across the country.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

On a more general level, as you grow up, you gradually come to realize that the world you live in bears little relationship to the world you grew up in and, for a while, thrived in. Life has marched on and you didn't keep up. You are slowly becoming irrelevant and marginalized in a world seemingly owned and run by a younger generation.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                .... Life has marched on and you didn't keep up. You are slowly becoming irrelevant and marginalized in a world seemingly owned and run by a younger generation.
                No. That's just you.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  No. That's just you.
                  No need to be nasty.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

the alarm went off and the hot water went into the teapot (by boiling over in the kettle into a spout pointed at the teapot) the teapot contained a dry tea bag, you poured it out before it stewed.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X