• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40-hour ambulance waits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

how do you fix that?
    Emergency ambulances only for serious accidents (RTA etc), life threatening injuries or real medical emergencies (CA, stroke)?
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 1 December 2022, 13:14.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I wonder how much of the problem is down to bed blocking?

When my wife was in hospital 9 years ago, there were more dementia patients on her surgical ward than patients recovering from surgery. The nurses said the hospital was having problems finding anywhere to discharge them to, hence why they were "dumped" on a surgical ward.

I don't imagine the situation has got any better since.
      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 1 December 2022, 13:24.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

You can get an ambulance in London within six hours, but it has to come from Calais.
        https://ambulance-vsl-calais.fr/nos-...conventionnes/
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          I wonder how much of the problem is down to bed blocking?

When my wife was in hospital 9 years ago, there were more dementia patients on her surgical ward than patients recovering from surgery. The nurses said the hospital was having problems finding anywhere to discharge them to, hence why they were "dumped" on a surgical ward.

I don't imagine the situation has got any better since.
          nope worse

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...st-trusts.html

A THIRD of NHS capacity is taken up by bed-blockers at busiest trusts: Analysis lays bare scale of £2bn-a-year crisis which Therese Coffey has vowed to fix... so use our handy interactive tool to see how bad the problem is at YOUR hospital
          • Analysis of data shows 13,000 beds, about a seventh of NHS capacity in England is taken up by bed-blockers
          • This rises to one in three beds being used by a patient fit to leave in some of the nation's hardest hit hospitals
          • Bedblocking is contributing to distressing A&E and ambulance waits and the NHS's enormous care backlog
          • Problem has been blamed on social care which is beset by staffing issues as supermarkets offer higher wages
          • MailOnline's analysis comes after new Health-Sec Therese Coffey pledges £500million to help fix the crisis
          Of course we have an international NHS

https://fullfact.org/health/health-t...-and-who-pays/

Deliberate use: This is the estimated cost of treating those travelling to England deliberately for free treatment, or those who take advantage of the health system while here (which means using it more intensively than they might have done otherwise). This group is particularly difficult to quantify as we don't really know who most of them are. It's thought they could cost the NHS somewhere between £110 million and £280 million a year, on top of the £1.8 billion a year.
          https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/b...irth-in-london

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            We, the tax payer, is paying for the army bods. They are trained, so why can't we use them to help out?
            I suppose partly there is the optics of it (which I couldn't care less about but being realistic is a factor). Beyond that, well what specifically would they do? If there is a 24 hour queue of ambulances waiting at the hospital, getting patients to the hospital faster is a minimal gain and presumably there is a shortage of ambulances anyway if they're all stacked up.

The military do have their own hospitals and medical staff and they certainly have the ability to basically do instant pop-up hospitals but is emergency field medicine of the same level as the NHS.

It really is startling how bad it has all gotten. We grow up taking for granted that while there may be long waiting lists, you will get seen in a real emergency and you won't die because they couldn't get to you. But not the case. It's actually affecting some decisions I make knowing that the consequences could be far more significant, or at least making be consider more explicitly the risks.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

At the moment, discharge is either home or care home. What we need is something like the old convalescent hospitals.

The chap down the road is a case in point. He's been in hospital (bed blocking) for 6 weeks. He has mobility issues after surgery for a fractured tibia, so couldn't go home but he doesn't need to stay in hospital; nor does he need to go to a care home.

Comment

[QUOTE=d000hg;n4244706 It's actually affecting some decisions I make knowing that the consequences could be far more significant, or at least making be consider more explicitly the risks.

[/QUOTE]

i thought your god would look after you?

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

i thought
                  No you didn't. What an utterly moronic comment to make. Please don't jump into conversations just to make silly insults.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    No you didn't. What an utterly moronic comment to make. Please don't jump into conversations just to make silly insults.
                    or what? you get your little god to smite me? you don't own this forum pal, much as you think you do.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Emergency ambulances only for serious accidents (RTA etc), life threatening injuries or real medical emergencies (CA, stroke)?
                      Alas we live in a society where we're scared to say no to people just in case....
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X