• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State Pension Age...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Pension Age...

...to rise faster than initially planned
    Though rhis isn't a surprise to me.
    http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co..../3/article/NaN

POLITICS

Pension age move to 68 could disrupt retirement plans
    BEN RILEY-SMITHPolitical EditorSZU PING CHAN
    THE pension age is to rise to 68 years even earlier than planned, under Government proposals.

The age at which Britons qualify for their state pension is due to increase to 67 by 2028 and then 68 by 2039, but ministers want to bring the latter rise forward to the mid-2030s.

It would mean people who are in their mid-50s now will have to wait an extra year before drawing their pension, potentially disrupting retirement plans. However, the move will raise tens of billions of pounds for Treasury coffers and has been described as a “big bazooka” as officials look to secure the country’s long-term finances.

It paves the way for people starting work today to have their retirement delayed until they are in their 70s.

Supporters argue it would be justified to boost inter-generational fairness, given how much life expectancy in the past decade has risen, while also helping to fund higher public spending.

Critics are likely to question whether the move will cause disruption to those already planning for retirement and raises the risk of an elderly voter backlash.

There is growing interest in Whitehall in automatically linking changes in the pension age to life expectancy, with a belief that it could help depoliticise the issue. The concept has been explored by ministers and officials and could see a link pinned on people spending around a third of their lives retired.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Supporters of the policy are those not impacted by it.
    Take away their milk
    Take away their free university
    Take away their tax reductions on mortgages
    …and then accuse everyone under 55 of being lazy, while the walking dead have no cares for the UK, as long as they strip it of assets.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Supporters of the policy are those not impacted by it.
      Take away their milk
      Take away their free university
      Take away their tax reductions on mortgages
      …and then accuse everyone under 55 of being lazy, while the walking dead have no cares for the UK, as long as they strip it of assets.
      What the hell are you trying to say? 'Cos that makes no sense at all.

FWIW the pension age is already rising, and if you are smart enough to be planning for retirement it's unlikely the state pension will be forming a major part of it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I used to say that 60 is the new 55.

I think that it’s now (or shortly will be) 63 is the new 55.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

What the hell are you trying to say? 'Cos that makes no sense at all.

FWIW the pension age is already rising, and if you are smart enough to be planning for retirement it's unlikely the state pension will be forming a major part of it.
          Wait until they hit the private pension cap, then there’ll be a different tune.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's the usual Tory spin and lies.

"We won't increase incomes taxes"...instead they freeze the bands for years to come and fiscal drag plus high inflation pulls more people into higher tax levels. Result, tax take increases.

"We will keep the Triple Lock on pensions"...instead the move the retirement age up relentlessly, so that fewer and fewer people actually live long enough to claim the money. Result, pension spending actually falls for the govt.

Tory scum will be Tory scum.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              It's the usual Tory spin and lies.

"We won't increase incomes taxes"...instead they freeze the bands for years to come and fiscal drag plus high inflation pulls more people into higher tax levels. Result, tax take increases.

"We will keep the Triple Lock on pensions"...instead the move the retirement age up relentlessly, so that fewer and fewer people actually live long enough to claim the money. Result, pension spending actually falls for the govt.

Tory scum will be Tory scum.
              sadly we should have the balls to start raising the age in the 70s when we realised what needed doing. Each government faffed about and the Tory sc*m have to pick up the pieces.

Where is your money forest by the way?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Where is your money forest by the way?
                Sadly, the money forest has been relentlessly and ruthlessly "harvested" by the Tories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63746930
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Sadly, the money forest has been relentlessly and ruthlessly "harvested" by the Tories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63746930
                  Why is she Baroness in the first place?

Comment

Increasing other taxes too because they ain't "income"

Comment

Working...
                    X