• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chips for tea...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chips for tea...

but only if you are rich like R!sh!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63378633

Prices of pasta, tea, chips and cooking oil soar

The price of pasta, tea, chips and cooking oil has soared, according to new data, with vegetable oil going up by 65% in a year.

Overall, the price of budget food in supermarkets rose by 17% in the year to September, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

It comes as a separate ONS report sheds light on the cost of living crisis.

Almost half of adults who pay energy bills and 30% paying rent or mortgages say these are difficult to afford.

Inflation - the rate at which prices are rising - is at a 40-year high.

Food prices drove the latest rise in living costs in September, along with energy bills and transport costs.

Earlier this year, anti-poverty campaigner Jack Monroe criticised the way that the rate of inflation was calculated stating that it "grossly" underestimates "the true cost of living crisis".

The official inflation data measures the prices of 700 goods, but since May this year the ONS has started releasing a new data set, which measures the change in price of 30 everyday grocery items across seven supermarkets.

This is the second time it has released this data.

It found sharp increases in the price of some household staples in supermarkets. Pasta prices rose by 60% in the year to September 2022, while tea prices went up by almost 50%.

Other everyday items such as chips, bread, biscuits and milk also recorded large increases.

But some other items fell in price during the period, including orange juice and beef mince.

The rise in the cost of groceries has been accelerated by the war in Ukraine, which has disrupted grain, oil and fertiliser supplies from the region.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Potatoes are considerably cheaper than chips, I imagine (although I wouldn't be 100% surprised to find some processed foods are cheaper than their ingredients by weight).

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Potatoes are considerably cheaper than chips, I imagine (although I wouldn't be 100% surprised to find some processed foods are cheaper than their ingredients by weight).
      That's because chips need cooking oil and lots of energy to make them, both of which are very expensive right now.

The future is eating raw potatoes. That and rats on sticks.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

That's because chips need cooking oil and lots of energy to make them, both of which are very expensive right now.

The future is eating raw potatoes. That and rats onnastick.
        or innabun??

Comment

That's because chips need cooking oil and lots of energy to make them,
          I think this is talking about oven chips which are not pre-cooked? You can't have cooked chips in a shopping basket for inflation.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Catering chips are 80p kg so a 250gm portion is 20p plus oil 10p plus gas 15p plus wrapping 20p = 65p. Profit margin in catering is 66% therefore a portion of chips should be around £2.00 which is about average.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

That and rats on sticks.
              With or without ketchup?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X