• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it time to start thinking seriously about this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattster View Post
    I'd do it on my current day rate if I was offered it. Work life balance and all that.
    Given the upcoming tapering of corporation tax and my slow decline into old age, I am much less inclined to continue working 250 days per year.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You are viewing this from a position of power.

if you get £15 an hour and work 40 hours you earn £600 a week. If you now work 32 hours a week you get £480 a week. Its nice you don't see that as a pay cut most people earning that sort of money will. The reality will be that slowly £480 a week will become the defacto pay.

Remember the proliferation of 0 hour contracts that wasn't to help staff.
      what??? thats an income cut. not a pay cut.
      if you work zero hours on an hourly rate you get zero income. thats not a pay cut
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

what??? thats an income cut. not a pay cut.
        if you work zero hours on an hourly rate you get zero income. thats not a pay cut
        semantics - something we in the top 10% can afford those in the bottom 20% of earners will just be unable to pay the bills.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

semantics - something we in the top 10% can afford those in the bottom 20% of earners will just be unable to pay the bills.
          No, it's not semantics, you're wrong although you'll never admit it will you? ... it's the difference between a pay cut (the hourly rate is reduced) and a reduction in income (the hours are reduced at the same pay rate).

You could of course have a pay rise ... the rate per hour increases ... but a reduction in hours such that the income is less. Do you see that as a pay cut? Or a pay rise?

But it's a moot point as hourly workers are highly unlikely to be asked across the board to work less hours as it's the less skilled jobs around hospitality, care etc that are crying out for workers and for people to work extra hours.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

No, it's not semantics, you're wrong although you'll never admit it will you? ... it's the difference between a pay cut (the hourly rate is reduced) and a reduction in income (the hours are reduced at the same pay rate).

You could of course have a pay rise ... the rate per hour increases ... but a reduction in hours such that the income is less. Do you see that as a pay cut? Or a pay rise?

But it's a moot point as hourly workers are highly unlikely to be asked across the board to work less hours as it's the less skilled jobs around hospitality, care etc that are crying out for workers and for people to work extra hours.
            Of course I am wrong the mighty warthog has spoken, earning a six figure salary he knows everything, if you earn £480 rather than £600 its just a drop in cigar money nothing serious!

The hospitality jobs are the ones that have been bouncing along the minimum wage, the companies having a challenge hiring people are the ones who decided that paying people a living wage is too hard, until we removed the cheap eastern European labour they could get away with it now sadly they are finding it difficult.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The hospitality jobs are the ones that have been bouncing along the minimum wage, the companies having a challenge hiring people are the ones who decided that paying people a living wage is too hard, until we removed the cheap eastern European labour they could get away with it now sadly they are finding it difficult.
              It's not just removal of Eastern European workers - I in fact know a lot who haven't yet decided to pack their bags and go elsewhere in Europe - it is demographics. There is simply not enough young people in the UK, and the young people there are because it costs more to educate them aren't doing part-time jobs.

In my area in Summer there were lots of clearly 16-22 year olds working in shops, restaurants, pubs etc and even people I know who have carers were suddenly getting much younger carers, however now the majority have now disappeared.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It's not just removal of Eastern European workers - I in fact know a lot who haven't yet decided to pack their bags and go elsewhere in Europe - it is demographics. There is simply not enough young people in the UK, and the young people there are because it costs more to educate them aren't doing part-time jobs.

In my area in Summer there were lots of clearly 16-22 year olds working in shops, restaurants, pubs etc and even people I know who have carers were suddenly getting much younger carers, however now the majority have now disappeared.
                How are the English classes coming along? Are they worth the money?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I'm already doing a 3 day week at my current gig. Still charging the client for 5 days.

Comment

Working...
                  X