• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now we know why smart meters have an off switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
    Notwithstanding remote disconnection possibilities, my pet hate with so-called smart meters is that they are reported to have a life expectancy of 10 years. Hence need to factor in the costs and environmental impact of replacement.

Plus, of course there's the overhead of all the systems and folks need to run the smart meter infrastructure.

I've seen electromechanical meters last 50 years - with no fancy electronic components they are less of a re-cycling challenge too.

I said 'no thanks' ...
    Plenty of electronics work for decades, what needs to be permitted is obsolescence, Slide in upgrades make real sense. Plenty of systems have hot swap cards, Once you have the meters connected with Corgi & rev 17 accredited engineers if an unqualified bod could change the communication system a meter could still work in 50+ years.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It would seem, rittle glasshopper, that you have far more faith in modern electronics than I have.

They're already replacing the first tranche of "smart meters" because they're becoming obsolete.

Then again, smart meters are rather more prone to breakdown due to the spikey normans on the supply than the good old fashioned whirly disc kind..

I'd have thunk that rolling power cuts would be done at the substation level rather than individual smart meters.

I have noticed that lots of the supply network has little antennas and comms boxes attached these days.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 October 2022, 18:27.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
        Notwithstanding remote disconnection possibilities, my pet hate with so-called smart meters is that they are reported to have a life expectancy of 10 years. Hence need to factor in the costs and environmental impact of replacement.

Plus, of course there's the overhead of all the systems and folks need to run the smart meter infrastructure.

I've seen electromechanical meters last 50 years - with no fancy electronic components they are less of a re-cycling challenge too.

I said 'no thanks' ...
        Oooh I can use the green argument to refuse to have one.

(Though I won't be gluing myself to my meters.)
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          I'd have thunk that rolling power cuts would be done at the substation level rather than individual smart meters.
          Each network operator's area is divided into 18 'load blocks' which experience an outage of 3 hours, or multiples thereof. There are multiple rota plans depending on the extent of the demand reduction required.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...c-guidance.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            I have noticed that lots of the supply network has little antennas and comms boxes attached these days.
            Helps to find "*losses" in the system.

For *losses read "theft".
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

My smart meter has told me that the kettle sand toaster talk about me behind my back.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Helps to find "*losses" in the system.

For *losses read "theft".
                Cannabis farmers abstracting electricity?

Comment

Working...
                X