• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now we know why smart meters have an off switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we know why smart meters have an off switch

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tics-fear.html

Chinese smart meters could be a threat to power supplies in Britain if used as 'a Trojan horse that could pull down the whole of the grid', experts warn
    • Thousands of smart meters installed in UK have links to Chinese Government
    • Three major UK energy supplies have struck a deal with Kaifa Technology UK
    • There are already 250,000 Kaifa meters installed in homes across the country
    • Experts fear Beijing could 'destroy' the national grid because of the rollout
    jeez how stupid are these people?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Which "people" are you referring to?
    The Government?
    The electricity supply companies?
    Wail readers?
    Unnamed experts?

What is the solution? Is it to regulate/control/disband one or more of the four groups?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The Government?
      Wail readers?
      Unnamed experts?

What is the solution? Is it to regulate/control/disband one or more of the four groups?
      The Government who pushed out the idea of smart meters.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The Government who pushed out the idea of smart meters.
        Any suggestion that some of the govt have shares in either the manufacturer or the UK supplier? Or is it just further evidence of Xi/Putin owning the Tory party.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The functionality to turn off supply is known, I believe that feature is what National Grid might employ in their plan for targeted power cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            The functionality to turn off supply is known, I believe that feature is what National Grid might employ in their plan for targeted power cuts.

Good thing I’ve fobbed ‘em off so far…

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Good thing I’ve fobbed ‘em off so far…
              After blocking their number about 18 months ago I got a call on Friday from a new number.

"Hello, Do you want to upgrade to a smart meter?"
              "No I don't want one, bye" Click. Block.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH is going on View Post

The Government?
                Wail readers?
                Unnamed experts?

Nurse he is out of bed again!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Indeed. A foolish step, they should have offered an output that allowed you to drop load partially e.g. EV charging, night storage heating, hot water generation or air source heat pumps. just a flashing IR led with a tos link or similar that connects to a second metered output. Then we could have wired all these things via a contactor, via our web logins /apps we can decide if we needed the EV etc charged in 4 hours or 12 if we choose the longer time it can modulate the power and charge us less.

Little interruption to our lifestyle but the ability to shed / enable load.

The idea whole households can be switched off by a foreign power shows how incompetent our government are.

Comment

Notwithstanding remote disconnection possibilities, my pet hate with so-called smart meters is that they are reported to have a life expectancy of 10 years. Hence need to factor in the costs and environmental impact of replacement.

Plus, of course there's the overhead of all the systems and folks need to run the smart meter infrastructure.

I've seen electromechanical meters last 50 years - with no fancy electronic components they are less of a re-cycling challenge too.

I said 'no thanks' ...

Comment

Working...
                    X