• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

U Turn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U Turn

Energy campaign U-turn has happened.

Just answered by Truss in PMQs.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Dunno why U turns are always supposed to be a bad thing. Makes sense to change direction when circumstances change.

Not that that's a defence for making crappy decisions in the first place. If fuel and energy companies are profiting from the recent chaos, we should grab some more of those profits to offset rising national debt.

https://www.offshore-technology.com/...sis-continues/
    Last edited by xoggoth; 12 October 2022, 12:32.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's a campaign - basically sending advice to companies and people across the country on how to save energy.

It will cost millions, and it will achieve the square root of sod-all.

So as a U-turn, it's vanishingly insignificant. It says much about our Parliament that this is even being raised for debate.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

People shouldn't need any encouragement to try and save energy. The exorbitant cost alone should be enough of an incentive.

I dug out an old electricity bill from a few years ago - 12p/unit. Even with the cap, it's now 33p/unit.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Dunno why U turns are always supposed to be a bad thing. Makes sense to change direction when circumstances change.
          THat would typically be after months or years though, not weeks or days. They U-turn on policies they haven't even got to Commons.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Doesn't half wear out the tyres doing lots of U turns. Maybe I should invest in Goodyear?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              THat would typically be after months or years though, not weeks or days. They U-turn on policies they haven't even got to Commons.
              So stress testing ideas before putting them to a vote is a bad idea?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                So leaking to the press ideas before putting them to a vote is a bad idea?
                FTFY

Yes, terrible idea - it allows vested interests who control the press to unduly influence Givt policy, plus enable MPs avoid getting on record with their votes - failed proposals during voting are also good proposals: it shows where people stand, on record

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

FTFY

Yes, terrible idea - it allows vested interests who control the press to unduly influence Givt policy, plus enable MPs avoid getting on record with their votes - failed proposals during voting are also good proposals: it shows where people stand, on record
                  Nobody leaked anything to the press. The opposition came via the Cabinet and then Gove. And guess who is most likely to have passed it on to the fourth estate?

If ministers and ex-ministers adhered to the principles of collective responsibility and confidentiality before things reach HMP, then we would be in a much better place. "Senior" politicians with no morals other than their own advancement is the real problem.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As Paul Merton said on this weeks' HIGNFY, if you u-turn then u-turn again, don't you end up back where you started?

Comment

Working...
                    X