• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone lived in Northern Ireland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone lived in Northern Ireland?

A work opportunity has come up, and I just wondered what it's like to live there.

I'd prefer to live out in the sticks. Is that going to be a problem for someone English? I'd rent to start with, just in case it doesn't work out.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ns1 View Post
    A work opportunity has come up, and I just wondered what it's like to live there.

I'd prefer to live out in the sticks. Is that going to be a problem for someone English? I'd rent to start with, just in case it doesn't work out.

Thanks.
    Worked out there in the 80s off and on, at the height of the Troubles. Hateful place for many reasons, but the 99.9% of the people that weren't rabid nationalists or rabidly opposed to Nationalists were perfectly friendly and open.

It's supposed to be a lot better now. Obviously there are areas of Belfast that are not recommended for a day trip; the rabid crowd are still out there, but mostly underground. Just never ever discuss (or even mention) religion or politics and you'll be fine.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks.
      Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Wrong question. If you don't understand why its probably best not to comment...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Or Muslim?
          Or Hindu?
          Or Atheist?
          Or a Jedi?

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Thanks.
            The way you've worded this, it sounds like a permanent role, not a contract.
            If it's a contract, start off staying in a hotel until you find your feet and decide what to do.

As for living out in the sticks, you're never more than 20 minutes from being in the sticks, even in the centre of Belfast. But it really depends what town/city you're working in.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

had a few mates who died there a while ago

Comment

Don't believe in any gods, or have any time for any religion. IMO, it's all a load of *******s. But I guess it's probably best to keep that opinion to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The way you've worded this, it sounds like a permanent role, not a contract.
                  If it's a contract, start off staying in a hotel until you find your feet and decide what to do.

As for living out in the sticks, you're never more than 20 minutes from being in the sticks, even in the centre of Belfast. But it really depends what town/city you're working in.
                  Yes permie but flexible with quite a lot work from home. The firm is on a business park on the outskirts of Belfast.

Comment

Yes permie but flexible with quite a lot work from home. The firm is on a business park on the outskirts of Belfast.
                    If it's North Belfast, then look out beyond Carrickfergus, or inland from Glengormley (maybe as far as Ballyclare/Doagh).
                    For South Belfast, I'd suggest Drumbeg or Hillsborough (i.e. east/south east of Lisburn)
                    East Belfast, go for Crawfordsburn, Groomsport or Comber.

and if you've got short hair and a strong English accent, then go for a house near the Palace Barracks in Holywood.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X