• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truss Out!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truss Out!

Rumblings from Sky News that that Tory MPs want her out before the next GE.

After this:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...z-truss-latest

In a Facebook post this evening, Mr Mercer admitted he had found the "recent turn of events surprisingly tougher to deal with than I expected".

In a blistering attack as the Tory conference in Birmingham is underway, the former soldier said: "Of course I have a view on what is going on in Government, and you can guess what it is.

"You know I will not accept budgets like the one we saw last week.

"It is hard watching these rather comedic figures masquerading as Government Ministers sprawling around in the media."In a Facebook post this evening, Mr Mercer admitted he had found the "recent turn of events surprisingly tougher to deal with than I expected".

And this:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ty-conference/

Liz Truss has insisted no final decision has been made on whether to increase benefits in line with inflation next year after Penny Mordaunt said the value of welfare payments should continue to be linked to rising prices.

Ms Mordaunt, the Commons Leader, told Times Radio that she believes it "makes sense" for benefits to be "keeping pace" with inflation.

The Prime Minister then responded to Ms Mordaunt during a visit to a construction site in Birmingham as she said that "on the subject of benefits we have not yet made that decision" but there will be "discussions about the way forward".

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Well, yeah, but Mercer was publicly shamed by Truss when she ditched him and his wife went completely nuts on social media

There's a big difference between 20-30 MPs venting their anger in public and the broader parliamentary party deciding to ditch her, which would be suicide (not that keeping her isn't). They're in a tough spot.

Comment

Interesting. The MPs wanted Rishi but the members wanted Liz.

There's a contingent of the membership who are already annoyed with the MPs for forcing out Boris without consulting the membership so I wonder how this will go down with them?

I can see the conservative party imploding if the MPs start behaving like they're bigger than the membership.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        They're in a tough spot.
        Trussed up and down the Khazi.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I can see the conservative party imploding if the MPs start behaving like they're bigger than the membership.
          https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-live-updates

Tory members have been using a meeting with their party’s chairman to vent their frustration at MPs affecting their local campaigning efforts.

One Conservative member told Jake Berry they are “sick and tired” of having to answer questions about MPs’ actions while canvassing for local votes.

Another said that “what was going on down in London” - hinting at the scandals which brought down Boris Johnson’s government - had turned a previously safe seat in their area into a marginal one.

At a Conservative Party conference fringe event where members were able to meet the new party chairman, Woking Borough Councillor Melanie Whitehand said: “I am sick and tired, when we go around canvassing, every time what gets pulled up is what is happening in Government.”

“Although we say local issues for local politics, it absolutely gets drowned out by whatever the MPs are doing in the chamber.”
          She added that MPs are “selfish” and “not paying mind” to the Tory party members who helped get them elected.”

Berry replied that “every Member of Parliament should be canvassing regularly with their council team”, as he does.

He said: “I don’t have to rely on my council colleagues coming to me and saying ‘Do me a favour, will you? Just shut up in Westminster and will you let us get on with winning our local election’, because I hear it directly from the voters.”

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yup.

Comment

Interesting. The MPs wanted Rishi but the members wanted Liz.

There's a contingent of the membership who are already annoyed with the MPs for forcing out Boris without consulting the membership so I wonder how this will go down with them?

Parallels with Labour and Corbyn - overwhelmingly voted for against the PLP's desires, tumultuous time in power and subsequent fracturing and lack of direction after he left. Labour are only in the last few weeks starting to show signs of cohesion, the Tories need to be really, really careful. Brexit and Covid and Boris have tested the party and it seemed to get through, but maybe this is the inevitable crash like when you stave off a bad cold until a deadline.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Parallels with Labour and Corbyn - overwhelmingly voted for against the PLP's desires, tumultuous time in power and subsequent fracturing and lack of direction after he left. Labour are only in the last few weeks starting to show signs of cohesion, the Tories need to be really, really careful. Brexit and Covid and Boris have tested the party and it seemed to get through, but maybe this is the inevitable crash like when you stave off a bad cold until a deadline.
                It isn't just that, it is also their time spent in power. Yes, they've reinvented several times, largely in response to those issues you mention, but it is still a party approaching 14 years in power at the next GE. Rarely do parties survive that long in power. The urge for "change" tends to become overwhelming, absent a really bad alternative change, like Corbyn.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Truss Out!
                  I completely agree. Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is the only way.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

It isn't just that, it is also their time spent in power. Yes, they've reinvented several times, largely in response to those issues you mention, but it is still a party approaching 14 years in power at the next GE. Rarely do parties survive that long in power. The urge for "change" tends to become overwhelming, absent a really bad alternative change, like Corbyn.
                    This. "The Party" want an ideology. The MPs want to be releected.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X