• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back to the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the future

Warm spaces

https://news.sky.com/story/inside-br...homes-12708373

Inside Britain's 'warm spaces' - where people go when they can't afford to heat their homes Greenside Cricket Club is one of 65 venues across the borough of Gateshead that have signed up to be "warm spaces" for people - similar schemes have been set up all over the UK sometimes with different names but all doing the same sort of thing.

"It's Victorian isn't it?" asks Hannay Reay as she contemplates just what they are doing.

She's sprucing up the players' lounge her son uses in the summer as a player at their local cricket club so it can be used as a "warm space" this winter - offering locals somewhere to go if they can't afford to heat their homes.

"It's just a huge thing," Hannah tells Sky News.

"Not even just people on Universal Credit who are going to struggle - it is universal, everybody's going to struggle. It's just hideous really."

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I can't find any near Weybridge, Virginia Water or Windsor?

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Warm spaces

https://news.sky.com/story/inside-br...homes-12708373

Inside Britain's 'warm spaces' - where people go when they can't afford to heat their homes Greenside Cricket Club is one of 65 venues across the borough of Gateshead that have signed up to be "warm spaces" for people - similar schemes have been set up all over the UK sometimes with different names but all doing the same sort of thing.

"It's Victorian isn't it?" asks Hannay Reay as she contemplates just what they are doing.

She's sprucing up the players' lounge her son uses in the summer as a player at their local cricket club so it can be used as a "warm space" this winter - offering locals somewhere to go if they can't afford to heat their homes.

"It's just a huge thing," Hannah tells Sky News.

"Not even just people on Universal Credit who are going to struggle - it is universal, everybody's going to struggle. It's just hideous really."

They should work to keep warm, bring back the workhouses
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

You can't call them work houses - you need to rename them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          I can't find any near Weybridge, Virginia Water or Windsor?

For a small fee those with Rotary club or Masons can pop round my Gaff.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

if they were good enough for the Victorians
            Love JRM.

Comment

Surely certain members of the public can just continue to go to 'spoonies like they always do? Nothing changes.

It's the oldies I feel sorry for ... but then maybe they'll realise that the Tories are not on their side and vote differently next time. Maybe
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Surely certain members of the public can just continue to go to 'spoonies like they always do? Nothing changes.

It's the oldies I feel sorry for ... but then maybe they'll realise that the Tories are not on their side and vote differently next time. Maybe
                Spoonies is shutting 42 pubs, plenty of older folks went there and drank the cheap coffee (£1 with free refills) as there are no other suitable cheap spaces. It seems your prejudices are colliding.

Last time I went there for breakfast (which is cheap & fairly good) there were a few Warty lookalikes starting the day with a pint of Stella though.

By the way, this is not me obsessed with you as your delusion tells you, its me taking the piss out of you, luckily there is a whole ocean to take..

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Is there no oakum to pick?

And if not why not?
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Comfort Shelters. Keeping you warm through voluntary work.
                    A Division of the Placement Opportunities Private Partnership Initiative.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X