• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour Party Conference….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    One thing I was interested to note is that Keir is advocating a "points based immigration system". Isn't that the sort of 'racist, xenophobic' idea Labour were vitriolically attacking around Brexit when my FaceBook feed was full of Labour-voting friends re-posting memes about how the NHS relied on immigrants meant that restricting immigration implied hating the NHS?
    I overheard an interview with Sir Keir this morning points I noted:

1. The state energy company is suppose to be part of a sovereign wealth fund and to be run by experts in the field. It is not to be run by the government nor the Civil Service.
    2. The Blair government tried to bring in the points based immigration system (with his ID card) idea.
    3. He called the Ealing and Acton MP racist, said it was right she lost the whip and would be dealt with appropriately by the Labour Party after an investigation.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

One thing I was interested to note is that Keir is advocating a "points based immigration system". Isn't that the sort of 'racist, xenophobic' idea Labour were vitriolically attacking around Brexit when my FaceBook feed was full of Labour-voting friends re-posting memes about how the NHS relied on immigrants meant that restricting immigration implied hating the NHS?
      Not racist but will appeal to the xenophobic majority who would rather have sky high prices and shortages than be "overrun" with foreigners.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Not racist but will appeal to the xenophobic majority who would rather have sky high prices and shortages than be "overrun" with foreigners.
        Well no, a point/skill/value based system isn't racist or xenophobic but it was accused of being so. Even though quite a few multicultural countries use it.

But interesting to see something being pushed by Farage is now one of Keir's policies - though of course many of the rural Labour voters were supporting Brexit and Farage against the view of the party.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I overheard an interview with Sir Keir this morning points I noted:

1. The state energy company is suppose to be part of a sovereign wealth fund and to be run by experts in the field. It is not to be run by the government nor the Civil Service.
          On paper it seems a reasonable idea to me, for government to have some control over essential things like utilities without being too involved in running/ruining it.

Comment

Lab's have voted for PR.
            About time too.
            PR will also be a gateway to to re-join the EU
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Lab's have voted for PR.
              About time too.
              And to screw the Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Lab's have voted for PR.
                About time too.
                They're not going to vote to join the EU, it was LAbour voters who got us to Leave in the first place and they haven't changed their minds.
                Labour might finally be pro-PR but they have to win a GE under FPTP to enact it.

Comment

On paper it seems a reasonable idea to me, for government to have some control over essential things like utilities without being too involved in running/ruining it.
                  You clearly never lived in a world where the utilities were nationalised...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

You clearly never lived in a world where the utilities were nationalised...
                    Not everyone is as an

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Not everyone is as an
                      No, but the perspective of experience is sometimes useful.

One trivial example from the mid-70s. My better half moved to 24 hour on-call work for her hospital - blood matching, urgent bio assays, that kind of trivial life-saving, time critical exercise. It took four weeks as an urgent requirement to get a telephone installed and hard-wired into the living room of the house. It took a further two months to get agreement to install an extension in the bedroom and another month for it actually to be done (the phone itself was actually delivered after two weeks or so).

How long does it take to get a PAYG mobile these days...?
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X