• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scam alert !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scam alert !

Scam alert

Text and email from https://energydotbill-rebate.com/ It a rip-off from the HMG site and looks authentic.
    Last edited by Paddy; 18 September 2022, 09:49.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Anything from HMG is .gov.uk

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Anything from HMG is .gov.uk
      Yes, but hyperlinks can be renamed, and the average Joe may not know what URL he is using.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Its about time most browsers added a check if they are government sites or insured businesses.

Most people aren't experts.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Its about time most browsers added a check if they are government sites or insured businesses.

And it will quickly be faked.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Received a recorded call off HMRC yesterday ... seems I'm in big doo-doo and owe a lot of tax. Thankfully the nice recorded message put me straight and gave me a way to clear the debt ... phew ... that was a close call
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

It's surprising how easy it is to almost get fooled even if you are quite savvy, if you don't explicitly check every single link before clicking you can very easily get tricked in a moment of distraction.
              I agree that browsers could/should do routine checks for pages like BritishGas.co.ukbillpaying or whatever, which seems to be the common ruse used these days. Or if the link text looks like xxx.gov.uk and the actual link is xxx.gov-123rrr.uk.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It's surprising how easy it is to almost get fooled even if you are quite savvy, if you don't explicitly check every single link before clicking you can very easily get tricked in a moment of distraction.
                I agree that browsers could/should do routine checks for pages like BritishGas.co.ukbillpaying or whatever, which seems to be the common ruse used these days. Or if the link text looks like xxx.gov.uk and the actual link is xxx.gov-123rrr.uk.
                In theory I agree, but in practice maybe not so easy given there are 200 (?) countries in the world all with their own specific government sites, plus the millions of official company sites .... so not that easy for Google/MS/AskJeeves to filter out.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

In theory I agree, but in practice maybe not so easy given there are 200 (?) countries in the world all with their own specific government sites, plus the millions of official company sites .... so not that easy for Google/MS/AskJeeves to filter out.
                  If people complain about a domain that quickly flags specific cases. And Google have local teams in most countries doing this sort of localised work - but the level of actually useful ML/AI they have these days it seems like they could get a lot of it - just think how good GMail spam detection is.

Probably quite an interesting area to work in, the never-ending fight as scammers come up with new tricks.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

If they offered the framework I am sure the big boys such as governments and British Gas would implement it. Insuring business domains and bank accounts is the best way to cut fraud. If it asks you to transfer money but limits you to £100 unless you give a pee sample there would be a lot less fraud.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X