• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The separate thread about how awful Queen Elizabeth was and the Royal Family is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

What would you like to see as a head of state instead? Genuine question, I'm not being snarky.

My struggle with an elected head of state is that it becomes a political appointment and you get the farce you see in the USA and France, for example. I would dearly love to see a good example of an alternative where the head of state is an independent, ceremonial role and the person fulfilling that post is respected and adds value without having an agenda.
    Irish presidents?

People I've worked with from other countries have always pulled up a corrupt example where a recent president ended up on trial and convicted. They have also pointed out a slim down monarchy (Charlie should actually thank his son Harry for f-ing off) isn't more expensive.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Irish presidents?

People I've worked with from other countries have always pulled up a corrupt example where a recent president ended up on trial and convicted. They have also pointed out a slim down monarchy (Charlie should actually thank his son Harry for f-ing off) isn't more expensive.
      I forgot about Ireland, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I forgot about Ireland, thanks
        Getting to be an Irish president is hard work.

You either need to do something good on the international stage e.g. UN work or be a national politician who hasn't managed to piss most people people.

​​​​​​
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Getting to be an Irish president is hard work.

You either need to do something good on the international stage e.g. UN work or be a national politician who hasn't managed to piss most people people.

​​​​​​
          In Ireland you just need to be first amongst equals - you do know what an average IQ is, I suppose?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

No problem with keeping the royal family.

I would like to see inheritance tax loopholes closed so that they apply to the many families who pass plundered wealth from generation to generation without contributing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Remember only 45% of the country voted for the current government
              43% of those who voted - which, despite an impressive turnout of over 67%, still only represents just under 30% of all voters. So the picture is even more dismal than you portray it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                43% of those who voted - which, despite an impressive turnout of over 67%, still only represents just under 30% of all voters. So the picture is even more dismal than you portray it.
                Good point.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The Queen got the job at 25.

The King got the job at 73.

If I was given a job when I was expecting to retire after I lost both my parents within 18 months I would be miserable old git. Also if he lives 20 years his son would be an old git but at least he should get the job before retirement age.
                  given a job
                  In this game, age is not a multiplying card.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

In this game, age is not a multiplying card.
                    No, but surviving is...

Equally, George VI was never going to be King in the first place, but acquired the job by default. As did Victoria, come to that.
                    Loving all the interesting ideas in this thread. They are all mostly wrong for various reasons, but really quite entertaining!...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

No, but surviving is...

Equally, George VI was never going to be King in the first place, but acquired the job by default. As did Victoria, come to that.
                      Loving all the interesting ideas in this thread. They are all mostly wrong for various reasons, but really quite entertaining!...
                      Indeed. It was watched by 4 billion people around the world. Any argument that the Monarchy isn't needed or wanted kinda goes out the window on that point alone. Surely anyone who is anti monarchy has must be wondering if they are actually wrong at this point wouldn't they?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X