• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The separate thread about how awful Queen Elizabeth was and the Royal Family is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    every time one dies the world becomes a better place
    You sound like a jolly person, very well adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

What would you like to see as a head of state instead? Genuine question, I'm not being snarky.

My struggle with an elected head of state is that it becomes a political appointment and you get the farce you see in the USA and France, for example. I would dearly love to see a good example of an alternative where the head of state is an independent, ceremonial role and the person fulfilling that post is respected and adds value without having an agenda.
      Absolutely this. Someone put a link in the prof forums I think it was to a site wanting to get rid of the monarchy but the entire thing just went on about politics and there is nothing better than to divide and upset people. I think they had a few examples of situations of supposedly political but independant positions, one of which was the Speak of the House of Commons. I mean, we've done a really good job of that in the past haven't we. Some people may hate the economy but you can bet every penny you've got more people are going to hate an elected politician. I don't think the anti royals are really thinking about the solution in their blind attempt to remove the Monarchy. I'll conceed there are far too many hangers on and bad apples and needs modernising but that's already happening and has been for a number of years now so it's improving.

There is no solution that is going to work for us as we aren't used to that position so it's going to be 10's of years before we are used to that position and accept it as a country.

He's got no argument why he hates them so much and refuses to see the benefits which is his perogative but discussing it will get no where with his stance on the situation. He's just sounding off rather than making and argument or discussion.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What would you like to see as a head of state instead? Genuine question, I'm not being snarky.
        • has had a career in politics and distinguished themselves for excellence in their service. Could be someone who served as PM/Minister/member of Parliament/someone who had some important role in the EU Parliament
        • is ELECTED by the Parliament every X years
        • has no political power, just representative
        • receives an adequate salary, not millions and millions of taxpayer's money like the monarchs
        • is not above the law, unlike the monarchs

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          The royals are like MS Windows, one good version followed by a crap version.
          Edward VIII: crap.

George VI: an all round good chap.

EIIR: excellent.

KCIII: time will tell.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            • has had a career in politics and distinguished themselves for excellence in their service. Could be someone who served as PM/Minister/member of Parliament/someone who had some important role in the EU Parliament
            • is ELECTED by the Parliament every X years
            • has no political power, just representative
            • receives an adequate salary, not millions and millions of taxpayer's money like the monarchs
            • is not above the law, unlike the monarchs
            Interesting, not unreasonable. Elected by the whole parliament I'd agree with. Upper and lower houses. I'd also go so far as to say the shortlisting should be done by a cross-bench committee too.

Comment

By jingo I think I've broken the forum

Comment

Interesting, not unreasonable. Elected by the whole parliament I'd agree with. Upper and lower houses. I'd also go so far as to say the shortlisting should be done by a cross-bench committee too.
                I was speaking with an italian friend about this and it seems they do something like this for the head of state in Italy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Italy

Comment

My struggle with an elected head of state is that it becomes a political appointment and you get the farce you see in the USA and France, for example. I would dearly love to see a good example of an alternative where the head of state is an independent, ceremonial role and the person fulfilling that post is respected and adds value without having an agenda.
                  The answer is obvious. Liz Truss.

It is the will of the people.

Comment

I'll try again

has had a career in politics and distinguished themselves for excellence in their service. Could be someone who served as PM/Minister/member of Parliament/someone who had some important role in the EU Parliament
                    So politically biased which will still cause a bun fight and division. And something to do with Europe. We have voted to have nothing to do with Europe so why would you have a head of state that is connected. That's just ludicrous
                    is ELECTED by the Parliament every X years
                    Ah the old boys club and political group. General public is going to love that then. So we still haven't had a chance to elect the person. I mean. We've a long history of voting the right people in to our politics haven't we. Jesus. We've a long history of that not working very well.

has no political power, just representative
                    It's an ex politician voted in by current politicians all part of the old boys club. That's really not going to happen is it

receives an adequate salary, not millions and millions of taxpayer's money like the monarchs
                    Monarchy doesn't receive a salary for royal duties, their private inhertied wealth is arguable yes but they bring in 1.9 billion to the economy and pain over 350m tax on their private income. You can say good by to all that and hello to someone from a group well known for fiddling their taxes
                    is not above the law, unlike the monarchs
                    Utter load of guff which will do nothing but put someone in charge the public has no say in, is from an area that has been proven to corrupt as it is and no one trusts, putting power back in to the hands of the old firm and is picked from the most unpopular and divisive set of people out there.

Involving policitians is just the very worst thing you can do. Look how bad we've had it for many years and they are the most hated set of public servants around. How is that going to be any bigger. That list is an utter joke.

What about all the ceremony, history, head of the army as well as many many charities and much more. All this smacks of a blind hatred of the Monarchy without having a clue what they do, are and represent and being totally deluded about what an ex politician can bring to the party.

I'd rather just give the job to Helen Miram.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      By jingo I think I've broken the forum
                      How magnificent.

Comment

Working...
                      X