• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thumbs down America

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    This is a silly thread.

I've seen some interesting comments from Commonwealth countries that were colonised by the British especially as some of the terrible things in their history happened under Queen's rule and she never said anything about it.
    How did we know it was her who did all those terrible things? Maybe her aides did all the naughty stuff while she was just there being the saint that she was.

Comment

I regularly watch CNN and CNBC and haven't noticed anything negative, quite the opposite
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        I regularly watch CNN and CNBC and haven't noticed anything negative, quite the opposite
        Agree, nothing negative there, really, at least not systematically. The NYT is a different matter, but it has become a bit of a parody of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Agree, nothing negative there, really, at least not systematically. The NYT is a different matter, but it has become a bit of a parody of itself.
          I couldn't find anything negative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/o...beth-dead.html
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I couldn't find anything negative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/o...beth-dead.html
            It isn't any one thing and it isn't their news output, it's the balance of their opinion pieces taken as a whole in recent years. It's basically in competition with the New European, trying to increase its audience share among Brits who, er, aren't very enamored with the UK, post Brexit. Which is fine. But, as I say, it has become a bit of a parody with its unbalanced opinion pieces.

Comment

It isn't any one thing and it isn't their news output, it's the balance of their opinion pieces taken as a whole in recent years. It's basically in competition with the New European, trying to increase its audience share among Brits who, er, aren't very enamored with the UK, post Brexit. Which is fine. But, as I say, it has become a bit of a parody with its unbalanced opinion pieces.
              I found absolutely nothing in the NYT or the new European that was remotely critical about the Queen or the Charles. These papers aren't anti-monarchy.

But I think what you mean is the NYT, CNN and CNBC are critical about Brexit and this is unpatriotic.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 September 2022, 14:16.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I found absolutely nothing in the NYT or the new European that was remotely critical about the Queen or the Charles. These papers aren't anti-monarchy.

But I think what you mean is the NYT, CNN and CNBC are critical about Brexit and this is unpatriotic.
                I think what you mean is that you'd prefer to ignore the actual words I wrote and interpose your own expectation about what they meant. As an aside, I doubt you read their output on recent events very carefully, as they were plugging their opinion piece on the Queen's death with this quote:

We should not romanticize her era. The queen helped obscure a bloody history of decolonization whose proportions and legacies have yet to be adequately acknowledged.
                Timing is everything.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/o...onization.html

Comment

I think what you mean is that you'd prefer to ignore the actual words I wrote and interpose your own expectation about what they meant. As an aside, I doubt you read their output on recent events very carefully, as they were plugging their opinion piece on the Queen's death with this quote:

Timing is everything.
                    and what has this to do with the New European and anyone who criticizes Brexit?

...of course the New European is anti-brexit, and the NYT is copying them by being equally unpatriotic.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 September 2022, 17:20.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

and what has this to do with the New European and anyone who criticizes Brexit?

...of course the New European is anti-brexit, and the NYT is copying them by being equally unpatriotic.
                      No they are both patriotic to their respective countries.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X