• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get Checked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Sorry to hear that Same got Mr ms's brother (only 52) - he hadn't ignored his lump tho - had it removed and was told nothing to worry about.
    That's good news. Get it early and outcomes are far better.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Thanks. Mum's being assessed for dementia but has to wait 20 weeks to be seen for that.

We're all pretty pragmatic in our family, which can seem harsh to people outside. Hopefully he just goes to sleep one day and doesn't wake up.
      Sorry to hear about your mum and dad.

As your family are pragmatic, I would strongly suggest getting legal advice and sort out a power of attorney (POA) or lasting power of attorney for you mum now. If your mum develops advanced dementia and you do not have POA, there is always a chance that Social Services poke there nose in and they could take over her care and her assets and even and appoint themselves deputy via the court of protection. This very thing happened to a relative, he lost all control of what happened to his mum both care-wise and financial-wise because he had no POA. Social Services chose the care and administered her estate while living. as well as care costs (£1k per week) there were administration costs for the deputy/solicitor of £110k. In the end he lost everything he would have had under the Will. Local Councils are vultures and have their fingers in the pie of care-homes such as PUPA.

Hopefully your mum is still compos mentis and it the POA can be sorted out for a few hundred pounds. Having said that, everyone should have a POA because if anything nasty happens eg one gets run over by a bus and put on life support, there is no legal framework to deal one's assets as opposed to a Will when one dies.

There is a good read here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/fa...e%20a%20doctor.

Forms etc here: (but I would still suggest doing it via a competent solicitor in that field)

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Useful advice for us old farts there. Cheers Paddy.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Sorry to hear about your mum and dad.

As your family are pragmatic, I would strongly suggest getting legal advice and sort out a power of attorney (POA) or lasting power of attorney for you mum now. If your mum develops advanced dementia and you do not have POA, there is always a chance that Social Services poke there nose in and they could take over her care and her assets and even and appoint themselves deputy via the court of protection. This very thing happened to a relative, he lost all control of what happened to his mum both care-wise and financial-wise because he had no POA. Social Services chose the care and administered her estate while living. as well as care costs (£1k per week) there were administration costs for the deputy/solicitor of £110k. In the end he lost everything he would have had under the Will. Local Councils are vultures and have their fingers in the pie of care-homes such as PUPA.

Hopefully your mum is still compos mentis and it the POA can be sorted out for a few hundred pounds. Having said that, everyone should have a POA because if anything nasty happens eg one gets run over by a bus and put on life support, there is no legal framework to deal one's assets as opposed to a Will when one dies.

There is a good read here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/fa...e%20a%20doctor.

Forms etc here: (but I would still suggest doing it via a competent solicitor in that field)

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

LPA as it's now called has been applied for. I have access to all their bank accounts and have spent the last few weeks consolidating everything to make it more streamlined.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That's good news. Get it early and outcomes are far better.
            Well it wasn't good news as it was indeed something to worry about, but they decided that rather too late!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Well it wasn't good news as it was indeed something to worry about, but they decided that rather too late!
              Oh! Sorry! I completely mis-read.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Bob Marley died from cancer that started under the nail of his toe.

https://www.smoothradio.com/artists/...ed-conspiracy/
                Skin cancer surely rather than big toe cancer.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                X