• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting wobbles at 45

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Use Google. It's very clear what the annual allowance is. Clue, it's nowhere near 120k
    Annual allowance is £40k up to 100% of salary I believe, but you can use up unused allowance from past 3 years so I suppose in principle it would be possible to make a single annual payment of £120k, maybe even more (160?). I keep meaning to do something like this myself but other commitments tend to get in the way. It certainly softens the blow of inside contracts if you can afford to do it and arguably you would be better off living off other (non tax pivileged) savings if you have them and dumping all of your earnings into a pension.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Annual allowance is £40k up to 100% of salary I believe, but you can use up unused allowance from past 3 years so I suppose in principle it would be possible to make a single annual payment of £120k, maybe even more (160?). I keep meaning to do something like this myself but other commitments tend to get in the way. It certainly softens the blow of inside contracts if you can afford to do it and arguably you would be better off living off other (non tax pivileged) savings if you have them and dumping all of your earnings into a pension.
      What does it mean by 100% of salary? If the client is paying 160,000 then can i pop that all in my pension, or does it mean they give me a salary of 80,000 and put in 80,000 into a pension (plus or minus a bit for taxes and NI)?

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Don't help him ..... make him look it up himself as he thinks he can do £120k a year for 4 years

You are correct, you can use unused pension allowance from previous years 'if' you have been in a pension scheme during those years (we assume the OP was, but can't be 100% sure unless he says.

But he can only do that once, and he'd presumably be using all his company cash to fund that with not much left for 'income'.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there are tax implications of taking a salary, and divs, and a big pension contribution from the company .... I'm not a tax accountant but I don't think it's straight forward.

But let's say in Yr1 he could drop in a spare £160k. Yr2 £40k. etc ... it's still 7 years to get to the £400k pension pot (I'm ignoring tax relief so the pot would be higher than £400k). This after he's paid his mortgage off at 52, so he's 59 now and hopefully still in good health and picking up decent contracts.

I know pensions get back press but if everyone started young, small amounts each year, you don't have to put vast sums in for that pot to grow over 30 odd years of working.

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

What does it mean by 100% of salary? If the client is paying 160,000 then can i pop that all in my pension, or does it mean they give me a salary of 80,000 and put in 80,000 into a pension (plus or minus a bit for taxes and NI)?
          Surely your client is paying you LTD company fees. And your LTD pays you a salary? You and your fellow directors can then have an annual mtg to agree how much you and the other paid directors can receive as pension and record this in the minutes.

If you're not a contractor, and paid that salary from your employer, then what you say is possible 'if' you have unused pension allowance from previous years else your max if £40k per year. BUT, and this is important, you also have to assume that the company pension scheme of your employer allows this too, which they may not. What you would want is salary sacrifice but if you're employed and they won't allow such large contributions you would I believe have to take it as salary, get taxed/NI'd, then make a personal contribution and make a claim via your tax return.

But as you're a contractor through a LTD this isn't an issue for you.

Oh .... and some of t he above may not be 100% accurate ... I'm going from memory, so don't quote me
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Surely your client is paying you LTD company fees. And your LTD pays you a salary? You and your fellow directors can then have an annual mtg to agree how much you and the other paid directors can receive as pension and record this in the minutes.

If you're not a contractor, and paid that salary from your employer, then what you say is possible 'if' you have unused pension allowance from previous years else your max if £40k per year. BUT, and this is important, you also have to assume that the company pension scheme of your employer allows this too, which they may not. What you would want is salary sacrifice but if you're employed and they won't allow such large contributions you would I believe have to take it as salary, get taxed/NI'd, then make a personal contribution and make a claim via your tax return.

But as you're a contractor through a LTD this isn't an issue for you.

Oh .... and some of t he above may not be 100% accurate ... I'm going from memory, so don't quote me
            Yes, I understand it as a contractor My company can put in 40k for me and this saves corporation tax and whatever dividend tax I would have paid taking the money out normally (the government stitch me up when I eventually draw the pension)

I’ve never experienced the horror of an inside ir35 contract, but I believe you are looking at taxes/NI in the 60-70% range. So it then becomes a bit more urgent to put as much as you can in the pension (you are tripling your money instead of getting an extra 40%) The employer would be some umbrella company so you could just pick one that allowed you to do lots of salary sacrifice.

Comment

Seem to be a few angry people on here, or is it a healthy spirited debate ?
              I am 55 and looking at the end game, if only the demand for work had not gone so crazy and I was less greedy.
              My two pence:
              - I would prefer never to pay my mortgage off but the bank has other ideas so I pay as little as I can. Reason is that I am getting 9.5% on my VWRL ETF in my pension over the last 12 years but the interest on my mortgage is 1.55. Yes, I know it's going to go up but it makes no sense currently. Yes, I know in peoples heads it feels different and they should probably pay it off but I personally would never do that, I see all the assets and debts as a complete picture and act accordingly. Also, I see no point in having a massive asset that I can't sell part of (equity release nightmare/downsizing not withstanding).
              - Pension allowance is virtually the only lever left to pull if you score inside so that potential 40k/year is priceless I think to reduce the pain IF you have some leeway in expenses (poster probably does as he is pushing chunks at the mortgage)
              - No reason to get clever, chuck pension in a low cost tracker (VWRL ETF mentioned, or vanguard lifestyle according to risk appetite) and hold tight
              Cannot fully explain the fantastic feeling when I realised I was immune from having to work/putting up with bell-ends etc, I can recommend it highly. Of course, live a bit as you go along but if you can get some stashed you will thank yourself for it. No-one wants to be 'that guy', still dragging his carcase into work even though there is nothing left in the tank, make sure you've got enough before you've had enough...

Comment

Perhaps I can steer the discussion back towards the original question of age and demand for one's skills.

Over the last 15 years I've worked in 10 different IT departments across a huge variety of industry sectors and company sizes as well as the public and not for profit sectors. During this time, I could almost count on my fingers how many software engineers I've come across who were over 55. IT in general, is a younger person's game. At nearly all the organisations I mentioned above, maybe 2-3% max of IT staff were over 55. I've worked in one client recently where apart from two of the board directors, I was older than literally everyone else in the company by at least 10 years.

Public sector and not for profit organisations have generally older workforces so maybe that is one option to extend your longevity but they also offer lower day rates.

Most people in their mid 50s I come across in IT are either at a senior leadership level or some kind of external consultant in something other than development.

As per one suggestion earlier, you may need to consider branching out into other skillsets or consider moving sector.

Personally, I’m 54 and am planning to work till my late 60s but winding down to part time from around 60. I’ve purposefully been developing a portfolio of skills to improve my chances of doing that e.g. advisory, coaching, working with startups and hopefully non-executive directorships in future. But there’s no guarantee. One retired contractor I know told me she never had any specific plan to retire but at around 57-58, the gaps between contracts started getting longer and eventually approaching 60 work dried up so she was forced to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  Perhaps I can steer the discussion back towards the original question of age and demand for one's skills.

Over the last 15 years I've worked in 10 different IT departments across a huge variety of industry sectors and company sizes as well as the public and not for profit sectors. During this time, I could almost count on my fingers how many software engineers I've come across who were over 55. IT in general, is a younger person's game. At nearly all the organisations I mentioned above, maybe 2-3% max of IT staff were over 55. I've worked in one client recently where apart from two of the board directors, I was older than literally everyone else in the company by at least 10 years.
                  Knowing people in that age group including working with some - some of them end up in those roles by default. If you have a lot of experience and aren't a complete bellend so can communicate with people then you may be offered those roles anyway.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X