• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it possible to get an address for a car reg?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to get an address for a car reg?

My car was written off a few months ago and I thought it was due to be scrapped. Before the tow truck came, I thought I would be smart and took the rubber mats and cargo nets out of the boot to sell on ebay. Recently I see that the car has been MOTD again and I wouldn't mind giving the stuff back to the new owner as nobody wants to buy that stuff on Ebay and I can't bring myself to throw it away.

Any ideas on how I can get info on the new owner? The reg is HJ07 SXO

With difficulty. The only way is to have a genuine reason to find the owner, which means usually that the police want them or they owe someone such as a parking organisation money. You could ask DVSA but I suspect you do not have sufficient justification.

Also not sure how it got a pass with those two defects...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

One suspects that any organisation sharing car ownership data would be inviting a hefty fine from the GDPR police

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        the ancient and arcane english art of ye olde backhandere?

Comment

If you have a record your 11 digit VIN then this will get you the MOT shop that did the MOT from the gov website.
          You could try and ask the mot shop who bought the car in for MOT, this is likely to be trade car dealer who did up the car for resale.
          Then you could ask that company who bought the car off them.

Next year it might be easier one less person in the chain, the owner is likely to be the person who brings in the car for MOT.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 26 June 2022, 12:25.

Comment

No you can't. It's covered by the data protection act so the only people that can do it is the DVLA, police and maybe some other parties but not the general public.

Put it up on a your local give away for free stuff pages. If that doesn't go chuck it and get on with your life.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you saying the lack of rubber mat and cargo nets would fail an MOT? I'd be surprised as they don't have anything to do with safety.

I do feel sorry for the poor sucker that ended up with that car, the transmission had been rebuilt and never was very good. I'm also surprised somebody thought it was worth the money to repair the giant dent and the completely destroyed front suspension for a car that couldn't be worth more than 2K, and I had already been paid £500 salvage value.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the responses but it unexpectedly sold on Ebay today.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                Are you saying the lack of rubber mat and cargo nets would fail an MOT? I'd be surprised as they don't have anything to do with safety.
                No, I was talking about the two advisories on the latest MOT pass. As you say the thing is a heap of junk by the sounds of it; if you do find the new owner tell him to sell it!!
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No, I was talking about the two advisories on the latest MOT pass. As you say the thing is a heap of junk by the sounds of it; if you do find the new owner tell him to sell it!!
                  I see, that makes sense. It had been hit by a bin lorry and the front wheel was completely bent. I guess it had to marked as written off so the buyer can't be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    I see, that makes sense. It had been hit by a bin lorry and the front wheel was completely bent. I guess it had to marked as written off so the buyer can't be surprised.
                    If it had been bought by a dodgy chop shop and done up then sold on, then you can bet your boots the new owner will be surprised…
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X