• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think nurses and teachers should get better raises but certainly not those damn rail workers. The unions always bang on about passenger safety but all they care about is their own pampered members.

Railways are there to provide essential service to the public and they need to evolve to match technology to make that service as cheap as possible. There is no reason to keep the same level of ticket offices when so many buy online. There is no need to have guards to oversee passenger safety when technology can do a better job. Copenhagen has had driverless trains for years and they are very safe.

Good article in Telegraph about the appalling inefficiency of our railway networks in general - think you can get small number or articles for free
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...e-plug-socket/
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

On more personal note, this inflation is p*ng me off. Got about £40k in cash and no idea what to do with it. All investments I have made in last 6 months have lost value. Not much point locking away for 5 years in savings account that pays 1.5%. Spending some on improving house but otherwise, I dunno. Spend it on hookers I suppose.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Pensioners have a pretty rough deal (those relying on the state pension at least), they can't typically take a 2nd/higher paying job and are at particular risk from energy poverty. Looking after the elderly is a good thing.
        Looking after the elderly is a good thing, but let's not pretend that's why this government are doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I think nurses and teachers should get better raises but certainly not those damn rail workers. The unions always bang on about passenger safety but all they care about is their own pampered members.

Railways are there to provide essential service to the public and they need to evolve to match technology to make that service as cheap as possible. There is no reason to keep the same level of ticket offices when so many buy online. There is no need to have guards to oversee passenger safety when technology can do a better job. Copenhagen has had driverless trains for years and they are very safe.

Good article in Telegraph about the appalling inefficiency of our railway networks in general - think you can get small number or articles for free
          https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...e-plug-socket/
          So privatisation hasn't worked out that well for the railways, or indeed our energy distribution sector.

Worth remembering that the RMT mostly represents workers other than drivers (they are often in ASLEF), and these workers are not particularly highly paid. Why shouldn't they expect raises on a par with nurses and teachers? (who, I'm sure, will be out on strike soon enough anyway).

So will be getting July RPI rail fare increases next year? If so, how then do you justify not passing this on to the workers?

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

So privatisation hasn't worked out that well for the railways, or indeed our energy distribution sector.

Worth remembering that the RMT mostly represents workers other than drivers (they are often in ASLEF), and these workers are not particularly highly paid. Why shouldn't they expect raises on a par with nurses and teachers? (who, I'm sure, will be out on strike soon enough anyway).

So will be getting July RPI rail fare increases next year? If so, how then do you justify not passing this on to the workers?
            The jobs I've heard RMT affiliated workers do e.g. maintenance only earn a wage equal to teachers and nurses is from doing overtime and working on the weekend.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why shouldn't they expect raises on a par with nurses and teachers?
              Because, as I said, so many of them are not really necessary. There are plenty of other job vacancies.
              bloggoth

Comment

I think we've been told what to expect. They can't afford to raise rates, so they won't.

First inflation, then deflation; resulting in depression.

The isn't the '70s, the cupboard is bare.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Surely an epic recession is baked in now?
                  Not necessarily, because the recipients of the larger payments for the energy will have more money to spend. Granted some of these are overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Got about £40k in cash and no idea what to do with it.
                    Recommend buying shares in unloved small UK-listed energy companies. i3 energy, Pantheon Resources, Southern Energy (not to be confused with SSE) are stocks I have a heavy exposure to. Their share prices are low due to investors keeping away over climate concerns. Rising energy prices are making them even more of a bargain as they receive their now enhanced revenues.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      What's a plasma TV?
                      The cost of cake sprinkles were reduced hence they are now in the basket of goods to calculate inflation

Click image for larger version

Name:	300x300.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	4222599
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X