• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electoral Reform

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Under PR there’s no way of voting out an MP who isn’t any good. Which is a bit of a flaw.

Presumably you have to suck up to the present party leader to get to the top of the list, so instead of a healthy mix of different views within a party you get a homogenous bunch of yes men.
    There's been no way of getting rid of the series of hopeless MPs in various constituencies I've lived in where a nemotode worm wearing a blue rosette would be guaranteed a 20K plus majority.

Your "healthy mix of views within a party" translates to me as "how the flip am I supposed to know whether I can support this party when they can't make their own minds up about what they stand for?"
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 21 June 2022, 13:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

I wonder how all these countries with PR manage?
      Many struggle with deadlock for years in actuality. But it does somewhat show that the specific system used doesn't really make much difference.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

FTPT generally gives power beyond the proportions that the country voted for, like Blair getting 150 or so seats more than the tories in 2005 with about 3% more of the vote share.
        ..and Johnson getting 163 more seats than Labour on 11% more vote - absolutely ridiculous
        Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 21 June 2022, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Many struggle with deadlock for years in actuality. But it does somewhat show that the specific system used doesn't really make much difference.
          The 2010 coalition government showed that we got some policies from each - which reflected the result.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

The 2010 coalition government showed that we got some policies from each - which reflected the result.
            Half of which including boundary reform and PR were ditched by the Lib Dumbs in very short order...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

..and Johnson getting 163 more seats than Labour on 11% more vote - absolutely ridiculous
              That's entirely the point. FPTP tries to ensure a government has a working majority to get things done.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Why are people so set against a coalition? It can be made to work if the parties involved don't get all huffy like the DUP in NI.

A bit of collaboration should be a good thing - finding a consensus between two ideologies ought to temper the worst/extreme aspects of both and deliver something more centrist.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Half of which including boundary reform and PR were ditched by the Lib Dumbs in very short order...
                  The Tories had to water down some stuff and the Lib dems had to ditch some - notably the promise not to increase tuition fees, but the Lib Dems didn't abandon PR - where did you get that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

That's entirely the point. FPTP tries to ensure a government has a working majority to get things done.
                    Even though it doesn't reflect the votes of the majority - which are totally ignored. It's a bad system which is why so few places use it - we are not exceptional in having devised a brilliant system - we are stupid for not reforming such an outdated one.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I ended up with boundary reform.

Now got more local councilors to pay for.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X