• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electoral Reform

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

What has changed in the intervening centuries to make it out of date?
    Universal sufferage ? the fact that for the last century or so, parliaments were supposed to represent the populace ? Are you really as ******* dumb as you make out ?
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Universal sufferage ? the fact that for the last century or so, parliaments were supposed to represent the populace ? Are you really as ******* dumb as you make out ?
      It's like talking to a Trump supporter. All mouth, no brain.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's like talking to a Trump supporter. All mouth, no brain.
        Exactly what I was going to say.......so, you don't believe in representative democracy then ?

PS - You're a lot closer to a typical Trump supporter than i'll ever be.
        Last edited by TestMangler; 20 June 2022, 14:38.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Exactly what I was going to say..
          Course it was.

My MP is the person my constituency picked in a democratic vote to represent our views to government. So is yours.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Course it was.

My MP is the person my constituency picked in a democratic vote to represent our views to government. So is yours.
            Why am I not surprised that you can't see past the front page headline ?

Comment

What has changed in the intervening centuries to make it out of date?
              In most western countries democracy happened, meaning some form of PR or in some cases a mix of PR and constituencies. Just PR where a party with 43% of the votes can have a huge majority of 80 seats in parliament is outdated and undemocratic

Comment

Here's a simple guide to the differences between PR and FPTP.

https://keydifferences.com/differenc...sentation.html

I can't say if it's biased or not, do your own research.

I personally prefer the idea of voting for a party that then gets seats proportionally according to its share of the votes, rather than voting for someone who has never lived in my area and was parachuted in by the party exec. However, I don't know enough about PR to know what the potential pitfalls of that system are and intend to do more research before I decide which flag I'm running up the pole.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Here's a simple guide to the differences between PR and FPTP.

https://keydifferences.com/differenc...sentation.html

I can't say if it's biased or not, do your own research.

I personally prefer the idea of voting for a party that then gets seats proportionally according to its share of the votes, rather than voting for someone who has never lived in my area and was parachuted in by the party exec. However, I don't know enough about PR to know what the potential pitfalls of that system are and intend to do more research before I decide which flag I'm running up the pole.
                  What will happen is this - you vote for a party based on some attractive policy proposals in that party's manifesto.

What happens next is that those policies for which you voted get chucked on the bonfire so that the party can get into bed with another party to form a government.

The political back pedaling will be like an Italian tank regiment. In fact, I'd wager that parties will put things in their manifestos to get votes in the full knowledge that they'd never need to implement them.
                  Last edited by Guy At Charnock Richard; 21 June 2022, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post

What will happen is this - you vote for a party based on some attractive policy proposals in that party's manifesto.

What happens next is that those policies for which you voted get chucked on the bonfire so that the party can get into bed with another party to form a government.

The political back pedaling will be like an Italian tank regiment. In fact, I'd wager that parties will put things in their manifestos to get votes in the full knowledge that they'd never need to implement them.
                    You mean like promising 40 new hospitals, promising to balance the books, promising to get Brexit done, etc?

People still vote for the Tories, no matter how many manifesto lies they publish, and they always excuse their voting for the Tories by saying that everyone else would be worse, or that in 1842 someone who wasn't an elite privileged tory won and the country fell apart before the election, therefore we must continue to vote for Tories.

The fact that some gullible idiots continue to promote self harm in support of the elite (who now rebrand everyone else as elite) shows that the country is in the mess it is in because it's the will of the people to be run by the criminals we have in government.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post

Yes there will be some negotiating between potential coalition parties and what happens is that the most extreme policies get ditched and you get a moderate government most people can live with not a far left Corbynista or far right Johnson dictatorship

Comment

Working...
                      X