• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

e-Mountain Bikes - the legalities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-Mountain Bikes - the legalities

I'm looking at getting an eMTB to do a bit of trail riding (and also for the odd pub crawl around some of our local hostelries). I've already got a Mycle folding e-bike which is great for popping into the boot and riding into town from the P&R but is obviously the wrong kind of bike for the bridlepaths around here, some of which are incredibly steep and rough going in places. It seems that the maximum allowable power output from the motor is 250w to qualify it as being road legal (along with several other criteria e.g. max power assist speed of 15.5 mph). Yet, when I go online and look at what's recommended for a full suspension, mid mounted motor design, the power rating almost always seems to be way in excess of the 250w.

I mean, presumably, the rules of the road must apply even when on a bridlepath yet look at the comments and reviews and many people seem to be buying these bikes and using them in public places. Are they just being cavalier about the rules or is it that unlikely you're ever going to get stopped and get done for riding a non legal e Bike? I'm also thinking whether 250w would be powerful enough to tackle some of the hills around here - I guess it's proportional to the amount of effort I'm gong to have to put in myself but my preference would be for something with a bit more grunt and hope I don't get stopped.

I don’t quite know what happened to this thread. Gricer added chutneyspoon to the conversation, and you never cross the streams of 2 sockies in one thread.

I went in for the ban and it just deleted everything. Ah well, I’m sure you know all about e-bikes now…
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Whoops-a-daisy!

Comment

If I may, I'd just like to repost the link to the eBike in question in the hope that BoredBloke comes back with his thoughts

https://www.cyrusher.co.uk/products/xf800-ebike

Comment

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post
          If I may, I'd just like to repost the link to the eBike in question in the hope that BoredBloke comes back with his thoughts

https://www.cyrusher.co.uk/products/xf800-ebike

I am not an e-bike expert but do a lot of cycling.

My honest opinion is that this looks cheap and nasty and will fall to bits in 6 months.

The website is very cagey about the components used but the brakes, drivetrain and suspension are low end or unbranded.
          Last edited by TheDude; 21 June 2022, 09:02.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I am not an e-bike expert but do a lot of cycling.

My honest opinion is that this looks cheap and nasty and will fall to bits in 6 months.

The website is very cagey about the components used but the brakes, drivetrain and suspension are low end or unbranded.
            A bit of deeper delving into Trust Pilot reviews would seem to confirm that.

So it's pobably going to be the road legal variant of this:

https://newgenbikes.com/bikes/

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I don’t quite know what happened to this thread. Gricer added chutneyspoon to the conversation, and you never cross the streams of 2 sockies in one thread.

I went in for the ban and it just deleted everything. Ah well, I’m sure you know all about e-bikes now…
              Aw, ChutneySpoon was far better. Can you reverse it
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Aw, ChutneySpoon was far better. Can you reverse it
                No, and Richard knows what would happen if I did…
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post

A bit of deeper delving into Trust Pilot reviews would seem to confirm that.

So it's pobably going to be the road legal variant of this:

https://newgenbikes.com/bikes/
                  Looks like there is no way to adjust saddle height.

If you plan on doing any amount of pedalling it is vital that the saddle height is correctly set otherwise you will find it very hard work and quite probably injure yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

So can't we ban them both? The offence was trolling with two sockies which surely is the action of the owner so all accounts should be banned?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X