• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

No Smoking Ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    No Smoking Ever

    Apparently there is a report out that we in England should follow New Zealand which means that those under 18 will never be able to legally buy cigarettes as they will increase the legal age to buy it.

    The government is now thinking about it.

    Link to report - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/i...okefree-target

    Link to a news story - https://www.reuters.com/business/ret...ar-2022-06-09/

    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

    #2
    Hmm... this throws up all, kinds of issues. Is there anything else for which you have to be over any age other than 18 without it being a crime? Personally, I think grown adults should be provided with enough info to make up their own minds and act accordingly. You could argue that the legal age could be raised as we all do silly things when we are young but the NZ model raises the age every year so that people born after a certain date will never be old enough to legally smoke.

    Besides, it's just going to drive tobacco underground into the hands of the criminal gangs. Stupid idea.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Apparently there is a report out that we in England should follow New Zealand which means that those under 18 will never be able to legally buy cigarettes as they will increase the legal age to buy it.

      The government is now thinking about it.

      Link to report - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/i...okefree-target

      Link to a news story - https://www.reuters.com/business/ret...ar-2022-06-09/
      I saw the story but no idea how seriously it's being "thought about" - it doesn't really sound like something the Tories would go for.
      I'd never heard other countries were already doing this - is NZ the first? An interesting alternative to the unworkable idea of an outright ban.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

      Comment


        #4
        Good idea, but it might make it trickier to legalise smoking of weed.

        Comment


          #5
          bloomin good idea, the health costs of smoking are huge.

          yes people will work round it but that will be a small subset. also put duty up so only the filthy rich can afford a cigar a month!
          "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

          I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

          Comment


            #6
            I saw an interview with a spokesperson from pro smoking group FOREST and the chap had framed photos of people smoking on his shelves.

            Comment


              #7
              A massive crackdown is required on vaping.

              In my home town every mobile phone accessory/gadget shop sells vaping pens and they aren't fussy who they sell them to.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                A massive crackdown is required on vaping.

                In my home town every mobile phone accessory/gadget shop sells vaping pens and they aren't fussy who they sell them to.
                Couldn't agree more.

                Apparently secondary school children (and probably a few primary children) are all vaping now because it is acceptable.

                They need to make sure you can't vape or get nicotine products until you are 18.

                Then make sure the law on cigarettes follows vapes.

                The only exception is that you can get them on prescription if you are under that age.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Good idea, but it might make it trickier to legalise smoking of weed.
                  Nah.

                  Nicotine is far more addictive.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    bloomin good idea, the health costs of smoking are huge.

                    yes people will work round it but that will be a small subset. also put duty up so only the filthy rich can afford a cigar a month!

                    Purely in monetary terms, the revenue the UK government raises from tobacco taxes is nearly double what the NHS spends on treating smoking related illnesses.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X