• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors taking time off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors taking time off

Hey all,

Longtime lurker making tentative steps into the forum mosh pit

To the contractors that have been in a position to work a portion of a year (say 6 months) then take the rest of the year off, how was it like returning to the market in terms of getting the next gig and getting your head back into work mode?

Was that something more feasible in the past, limited now due to existing government regulations and those coming down the line? Or do you still work like this and are comfortable doing so for the foreseeable?

I'm a software developer myself, working permanent roles now, but I was a contractor about 6 years ago.

Thinking of doing something like the above because I want to use the time to pursue a business idea and would use a contract to get some runway to have the time to develop it.

Obvious risks involved here, but I feel I'm at the stage I can jump into another job fairly quickly whether that be permanent or contract.
    Interested to hear other people's experience (even the inevitable roasting from those that wear the contractor tag as a badge of honour and question my dedication to this way of life ).

Thanks.

I've had several breaks of 6 months+ and not found it significantly harder to get my next role. Mind you I'm trying to think of an occasion when I didn't have at least 3 months off at the end of each one.
    One's head will grumble, but once you get started, I've found, you're fresher and have got more energy due to the (apparent) novelty of the work.
    If you're worried about too many gigs cluttering up your CV, I sometimes merge/remove some of the older ones together on the basis that clients are unlikely to check these.
    Sell the large number of gigs on the basis of a breadth of experience.
    Don't forget you can put details of your "plan B" on your CV, so arguably it isn't even a gap on the CV.

Comment

A few years ago now, before off-payroll, took gaps two years running
      First return was easy, found a new contract quickly, and started the day after the initial client meeting. That was in central London.
      Second return was very stressful, months trying to break into the market 'up north' after 6 months travelling. Gave up and went back to the South while continuing to look, did eventually break in to the new region.
      I never took a big gap again ...

If you could carry on some part-time client work while executing Plan B that also avoids a gap, as well as providing some income ...

Comment

I have be taking 3-6 months off between contracts for the last 5 years. You have to time when you want a new contract. Hiring is quarterly depending on budget, biggest budget is April, start applying the begining of March, some of the jobs don't exist, agents collecting CV. This is the time I aim for, work the summer, sometimes finish after 6 months, sometimes extend until Christmas. Always have Jan-March in the sun. Apply while away and only come back once I have phone onterview done.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

The problem is that agents think it's a sign of being a poor contractor if you don't do long term stints of a year or more. Compound that with a long gap that makes them think you can't find work or were in prison so why should they take a chance on you.

Yep, it's all crap as anyone with a brain knows that many projects don't need to last for years and time off isn't illegal.

As others have said, it's worth considering what you can put in the gaps to make your CV look more appealing. A plan B is a good idea and I'd make one up if you don't have a side project - property developing is a good one, you won't need to talk about it too much but have enough detail to be convincing if asked.

Be prepared to prove you weren't residing at Her Majesty's leisure if you do take time out.

Comment

I've had a couple of breaks of 3-6 months with no problem. Probably best to start looking after 4-5 months and then it won't appear as much of a gap.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ikodel View Post
              Longtime lurker making tentative steps into the forum mosh pit
              Surely you should know better than post in general then you fawning lickspittle.
              To the contractors that have been in a position to work a portion of a year (say 6 months) then take the rest of the year off, how was it like returning to the market in terms of getting the next gig and getting your head back into work mode?
              Few contractors do that though. It's a fallisy we all do it. We work harder and take less time off than the perms. Bit of a generalisation but fits a vast majority of contractors I've met.
              Was that something more feasible in the past, limited now due to existing government regulations and those coming down the line? Or do you still work like this and are comfortable doing so for the foreseeable?

I'm a software developer myself, working permanent roles now, but I was a contractor about 6 years ago.

Thinking of doing something like the above because I want to use the time to pursue a business idea and would use a contract to get some runway to have the time to develop it.

Obvious risks involved here, but I feel I'm at the stage I can jump into another job fairly quickly whether that be permanent or contract.
              Interested to hear other people's experience (even the inevitable roasting from those that wear the contractor tag as a badge of honour and question my dedication to this way of life ).

Thanks.
              Sadly agents and clients don't understand how we work so a gap is always treated with suspicion. Shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as your last gig was highly relevant though.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the responses all.

The work I'll be doing outside of contracting would be I guess promotable for the next role so there should be some evidence of not just laying on the beech (not that that should be an issue if you can show ability for the next role).

Good to be reminded about the seasonal nature of contracting. I'll have to time jumping in well. Was thinking of around September but will have to research using data from last year.

Cheers...good food for thought.

Comment

Its easily possible to massage dates, and references are rarely checked.

eg. Say you finished in March 2022 and now its October 2022.

Just write on your CV you worked at client X from 2021 to 2022.

Agents and clients rarely ask about exactly which month you finished on.

And when agents to casually ask when i finished my last role, i always say 'a few months ago', unless it was less.
                  Last edited by Fraidycat; 3 June 2022, 19:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                    Its easily possible to massage dates, and references are rarely checked.

eg. Say you finished in March 2022 and now its October 2022.

Just write on your CV you worked at client X from 2021 to 2022.

Agents and clients rarely ask about exactly which month you finished on.

And when agents to casually ask when i finished my last role, i always say 'a few months ago', unless it was less.
                    I agree, most employers only read the top half of the page of the CV and then move onto the next one. If there has been a considerable gap I usually say I've been undertaking some further study relating to work and that it's been self funded, that always impresses them . As long as you are able to get the job done I have never seen in a problem with gaps especially if you have had various contract roles.

Comment

Working...
                    X