• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Older Men

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I can't see the components on modern stuff any more.
    And don't get me started on trying to read the bands on Metal oxide resistors......

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Time to to get a good illuminated magnifier and modern soldering station. I worked as an electronics design engineer for the first decade of my career and have taken up electronics again in my semi-retirement but needed help to see the components. It's now so much easier to source components, get PCBs made, afford test equipment. It's great fun!

Decision making.
      - 2020, retired, but not taking pension, owing to attending too many funerals of those younger than me
      - 2022, started working part time, fully remote to mitigate the effects of inflation and top up pension

Thanks to the OP for the idea. I can now self-identify as a 'Lazy Older Man'.
      I agree you need the right tools.

buy one of these

Click image for larger version

Name:	DDB44B34-51B2-4EA9-A150-17EADC56AC83-huge.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	4219953

and if that doesn't work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_microscope
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
        And don't get me started on trying to read the bands on Metal oxide resistors......
        Indeed not, I have one of those headband magnifier thingies and a nice tungsten desk lamp in order to have half a chance of reading & making sense of those, especially the blue bodied six band examples.

Still have to use the meter to make sure I've read the damn things from the correct end.

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I agree you need the right tools.

buy one of these

Click image for larger version

Name:	DDB44B34-51B2-4EA9-A150-17EADC56AC83-huge.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	4219953

and if that doesn't work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_microscope
        Got 'em both, though the stereo microscope was "liberated", being of little further use.

I do miss the dear dead days so far beyond recall when a quarter watt resistor was carbon comp, big, and had at most 4 bands on it and my eyes still worked properly.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
        X