• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Older Men

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Talking to certain people in the public sector I don't blame them for retiring early.
    This trend is probably going to decline over the next 10-15 years. Most, if not all, public sector schemes moved away from final salary schemes to some convoluted career average schemes around 2013/2014.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Buy the weigh eye object to being called lazy

Sent from my iPhone using Dictate-a-post
    Check ur privilege!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Ewe do?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Seems all of you between 50-70 with degrees have given up and retired.

https://www.ft.com/content/a91ed719-...a-db8ecb550561

It is not obvious that the country has a jobs issue when unemployment is almost at a 50-year trough, but these official figures tell only part of the story. Unemployment might be historically low, but that does not mean employment is high. The number of people in work or self employed is still 500,000 lower than the pre-pandemic level with roughly 900,000 fewer working today than the Bank of England expected in forecasts made just before coronavirus struck.
    The BoE are Bojo's appointed numpties that cannot predict their own bowel movements. 50 to 70s with degrees are self-employed or have their own business. Brexit had a big impact and along with business rates, why bother?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    This particular 50-70 year old is working as hard as ever, it's just that I do it for myself and don't ned to earn money doing it. I am far from unique.
    I think we'd use the word 'special'
    What is fascinating is watching assorted quiz shows where you routinely find ex-public sector employees who have retired and are still in their fifties...
    Well in certain PS jobs isn't this the norm e.g. emergency services? I always thought it was part of the deal that you slog your guts out and are expected to retire younger and be looked after because certain roles require you to be fairly fit. Or is this not the case?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I'm between 50-70 with no degree. Would love to retire but can't afford to. My best mate and his wife have done it though - they both had a highly paid professional jobs but gave up trying to jump through the ridiculous hoops of ever changing clueless management as soon as they no longer needed to.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

What is fascinating is watching assorted quiz shows where you routinely find ex-public sector employees who have retired and are still in their fifties...
    Talking to certain people in the public sector I don't blame them for retiring early.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    To what extent is the number of people in work reduced by the ~200k Covid dead?
    I would guesstimate that <20% of those were of working age (16-64)

Although the number of people in work and generating tax revenue in the UK has also been reduced due to other factors.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    This particular 50-70 year old is working as hard as ever, it's just that I do it for myself and don't ned to earn money doing it. I am far from unique.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X