• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Local Tories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably just as much a case of not wanting to support Labour, who are proving every bit as incompetent (measure that how you will...) and deceitful.

Much support for the LD Muppets down here, safe in the knowledge they will never be in power. And to be fair the local LD councilors are well engaged in the local affairs here

The next election will be interesting in my constituency thugh. Our MP is James Heappey, who never answers mails or phone calls, holds no surgeries and has zero presence in the area beyond a rare photo op at some worthy cause. He has also voted with the government on every occasion. Complete waste of space in many people's eye's - except the likely alternatives are even less desirable.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Sadly despite our PM being an idiot there is no viable alternative.
      I have several negative terms I would apply to Boris, but he's clearly not an idiot. Apart from anything else, think about whether any other leader would have survived this long in power with the things he's done. That isn't by accident.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      The next election will be interesting in my constituency thugh. Our MP is James Heappey, who never answers mails or phone calls, holds no surgeries and has zero presence in the area beyond a rare photo op at some worthy cause. He has also voted with the government on every occasion. Complete waste of space in many people's eye's - except the likely alternatives are even less desirable.
      The safer the seat is, the less good an MP needs to be to hold it ironically. And the Labour contender will similarly be some totally inexperienced youngster (as like as not) using it to learn the ropes and therefore not realistically electable anyway.

Last edited by d000hg; 6 May 2022, 11:13.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

The safer the seat is, the less good an MP needs to be to hold it ironically. And the Labour contender will similarly be some totally inexperienced youngster (as like as not) using it to learn the ropes and therefore not realistically electable anyway.
        Not completely true.

I can remember two occasions when a safe council seat and a safe parliamentary seat changed.

In the case council seat the Lib Dem spent about 5 years making himself known in the area so lots of people voted for him. Though he only stood for one term as being a councilor is tulip. He got the seat from a Tory.

In the parliamentary seat the Labour MP was no where to be found. He was dragged out to go door stepping with some local Labour councilors and I saw he walking around miserably. He disappeared before he got to the road I lived on. On the other hand the Tory candidate spent 2 years making himself known in the area. He was bloody everywhere. You would randomly get off the tube or train in the evening and he would be there. You would randomly go to one of the large supermarkets and he would be there... He duly got elected.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Not so sure in this case. There have been several significant things that would greatly benefit from the help of an MP to resolve around here. The common feeling seems to be "If your MP wont talk to you at all, then what the hell use is he. Anybody, even the lunatic LD likely candidate, would be preferable".
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Strange in my london borough there was a big swing from labour to conservatives

Must have been local labour incompetence outweighing national tory incompetence

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
              Strange in my london borough there was a big swing from labour to conservatives

Must have been local labour incompetence outweighing national tory incompetence
              Being a snob as the turn out in local elections is low, people who bothered to vote tend to know what they are voting for.

So when a party is incompetent in local government, can't be bothered to interact with the local residents or too many of them are under investigation by the police ( the latter two occurred previously with some local councillors in my borough), then people with this knowledge vote for alternative parties.

Btw this is also why I say some well-known MPs, regardless of party, are tulip or good even though I'm not and have never been their constituent. In the negative cases I've also seen documentation as the bread and butter work of an MP is supporting your local constituents.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Being a snob as the turn out in local elections is low, people who bothered to vote tend to know what they are voting for.

So when a party is incompetent in local government, can't be bothered to interact with the local residents or too many of them are under investigation by the police ( the latter two occurred previously with some local councillors in my borough), then people with this knowledge vote for alternative parties.

Btw this is also why I say some well-known MPs, regardless of party, are tulip or good even though I'm not and have never been their constituent. In the negative cases I've also seen documentation as the bread and butter work of an MP is supporting your local constituents.
                Yeah need to check this out when i can be bothered - strange such a big defeat to labour when everywhere else in London was Red.

But quick peek says there was corruption plus council tax had been raised by the maximum amount for the eighth consecutive year.
                And there are constant cycle lanes that pi** everyone off.

Comment

Working...
                X