• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P&O set sail at £3.94 an hour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P&O set sail at £3.94 an hour

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ail-again.html

Meanwhile, there has been fury from unions after ITV News saw contracts, known as Seafarer's Employment Agreements, showing agency workers on one of the company's Dover ferries being paid a basic wage of $860 (£683) a month for a 40 hour working week - an hourly rate of pay of £3.94.
    • European Causeway lost power for over an hour sailing from Cairnryan to Larne
    • Surveyors have carried out a full inspection and say it is safe to return to water
    hmmm
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

"The contract sets out additional rates for overtime, leave and a subsistence allowance, which P&O insists rises the rate of pay to £5.10 an hour, based on an 84-hour working week."

Well, that's alright then...

Comment

Is that before or after room and board?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Is that before or after room and board?
        Before.

Don't want them to be able to afford to jump ship in Europe and run away...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          "The contract sets out additional rates for overtime, leave and a subsistence allowance, which P&O insists rises the rate of pay to £5.10 an hour, based on an 84-hour working week."

12 hour days, 7 days a week. For £5.10 an hour

Wonder how many P&O scummy managers would be happy to work that many hours for so little?

Really is disgusting. I don't know the ins and outs of this, but surely we could put legislation in place quite quickly to say any ferry company with a licence to work to UK ports must pay staff an average working wage to keep their licence?

But then, it's easier for the government to blame the companies when they could fix the issue. We'll no doubt find that Grayling has his grubby hands on all this somewhere.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Before.

Don't want them to be able to afford to jump ship in Europe and run away...
            So how much of their wage is taken as mandatory room and food? Or is this free?

Depending where you come from, even 4 quid an hour is not bad. It's a matter of perspective really because lots of people would consider 84 paid hours a week to be a godsend rather than a punishment - the stereotype of the person working two full-time jobs to make ends meet, etc. And if you're stuck on a ship 24/7, you might as well be working as many hours as you can.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Normally for these type of jobs it's often 2 weeks on 2 weeks off so in average it's coming close to 40 hours per week

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Depending where you come from, even 4 quid an hour is not bad.
                It doesn't matter where they are coming from - they are working in Western Europe and should be paid accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

It doesn't matter where they are coming from - they are working in Western Europe and should be paid accordingly.
                  Unfortunately that's not the way it works in shipping and off-shore.
                  Besides lots of people would not be happy if the ticket prices for crossings suddenly doubled

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

This 100%
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X