• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing work sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing work sector

Hi,

Has anyone successfully changed the sector they work in?

I have been working as a software developer in financial services for most of my career and fancy a change. I have some very in demand skills (scala, functional programming, some spark) and am good at what I do.

Thing is it is pretty dull. I fancy doing something more interesting/worthy for the rest of my career but don't really fancy taking a hit to my day rate.

What are you thinking of doing?

When you say "work sector", do you mean your clients - i.e. moving out of financial services, or do you mean that you want to be a project manager, or maybe a lion tamer?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It depends on what you do. I've worked across many sectors, but I was about process rather than specific application areas (and even then I got bounced for not having experience of banking despite 36 months working in the City for two separate banks). If your technical skills can be applied to other areas then no problem. If all you know is how to program derivatives trading apps and will struggle with a JIT logistics application then you may struggle.

Do some market research. See how many jobs outside financial services you could do with your specific skillset and history.

And remember, you can worry about money or you can worry about life. It's dangerous to try and do both.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        What are you thinking of doing?

When you say "work sector", do you mean your clients - i.e. moving out of financial services, or do you mean that you want to be a project manager, or maybe a lion tamer?
        Something with interesting problems to solve rather than a stream of Jiras to fix.

I quite fancy logistics/shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Something with interesting problems to solve rather than a stream of Jiras to fix.

https://jobs.amazon.co.uk/en-gb/
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes

I jump industry when it becomes obvious its become niche or when I get bored.
            Skill sets I change as needed. Not a lot of call or pay for a prototype wiremen or OS2 knowledge. Currently learning ADF via JSON coded via a modelling package. Its a bit higher tech than my old CSV imports from 30 years ago but has basically the same problems lots of files lots of dicey data.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You are unlikely to get the same rate but put your CV out there and see who contacts you.

If the project sounds interesting and is only for 6 months then accept it if the rate isn't tulip.

Just be aware a few years down the line you could keep ending up on projects that involve two of your key sectors.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

If you are talking about using the same skills then I've worked in all sorts of areas and on the whole it's just more of the same really whatever the clients do. I've worked in Nuclear, Eurofighter, various defence, finance, global pharma, retail and so on and the initial buzz of it being 'exciting' doesn't last that long for me. It's still back to the daily grind of ITIL and the like. That said my last couple of roles have been in retail and I do get a buzz from seeing what I do out there. Bit nerdy I guess but working on AST's for a supermarket chain was fun as it was also my local shop and they had them in. I've just finished a gig at another retailer deploying stuff to stores which I also happen to visit regularly so I do like to see the output from the projects. Not everyone thinks like that and it's hardly exiting I guess.

I did find (in the old days) that a clients location and offices made a big difference. I did like staying away midweek, particularly when the client had a bright airy new office. I did some work for a council and then a stint in the new Coop building in Manchester and although it was the same work the quality of gigs couldn't have been any different. Couldn't wait to get out of the council gig but absolutely loved Angel Square. That's all gone by the wayside now and I do miss it.

If you are talking about a completely different role with different skills then I've no idea I am afraid.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've worked in Local Government, Retail Banking, Airports, Higher Education, Pharmaceutical, Shipping, Construction. Never had an issue with switching industries.

What it is about your skill set that means you are a one trick pony with no transferable skills?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you are talking about using the same skills then I've worked in all sorts of areas and on the whole it's just more of the same really whatever the clients do. I've worked in Nuclear, Eurofighter, various defence, finance, global pharma, retail and so on and the initial buzz of it being 'exciting' doesn't last that long for me. It's still back to the daily grind of ITIL and the like. That said my last couple of roles have been in retail and I do get a buzz from seeing what I do out there. Bit nerdy I guess but working on AST's for a supermarket chain was fun as it was also my local shop and they had them in. I've just finished a gig at another retailer deploying stuff to stores which I also happen to visit regularly so I do like to see the output from the projects. Not everyone thinks like that and it's hardly exiting I guess.

I did find (in the old days) that a clients location and offices made a big difference. I did like staying away midweek, particularly when the client had a bright airy new office. I did some work for a council and then a stint in the new Coop building in Manchester and although it was the same work the quality of gigs couldn't have been any different. Couldn't wait to get out of the council gig but absolutely loved Angel Square. That's all gone by the wayside now and I do miss it.

If you are talking about a completely different role with different skills then I've no idea I am afraid.
                    I used to work in Telecoms for an American organisation which sold to BT, walking into solicitor, estate Agents etc and seeing the phone system was quite cool. Also they are popular in US dramas so I get all excited when I see one on the TV.

Then worked in Electrical who supplied a number of retail outlets, walking into a petrol station and seeing our kit on the back shelf was always quite good.

as per LM your skills are probably transferrable there are a lot of companies in the mortgage & insurance arena changing their offerings that would like your financial expertise.
                    Last edited by vetran; 26 April 2022, 17:16.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X