• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

International no-slug pellet day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International no-slug pellet day

Well OK, national

2022-04-01 Slug pellets are outlawed from today... so gardeners are advised to kill them with BEER instead

Apparently slugs love bitter, but aren't keen on cider and wines. Also, they are very reluctant to cross a copper wire.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

One step in the right direction but they should ban killing of nice little slugs altogether.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Let me check the date...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Apparently slugs love bitter, but aren't keen on cider and wines. Also, they are very reluctant to cross a copper wire.
        Cheap beer doesn't work so well on it's own.

If you add a bit of yeast to it they love it!
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Let me check the date...
          That's the first thing I assumed, but I think this is legit (as far as anything is on Fail Online)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's the metaldehyde ones that are banned from manufacture as from today, they will still be for sale for the next 12 months (or while stocks last) to the public.
            It's quite poisonous to cats and dogs (and other animals).

If it was me, I'd use nematodes, or better yet, feed the wild birds (or get chickens). If you encourage birds into your garden, the slugs will be eaten. I've managed to have very successful hostas that way.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              If it was me, I'd use nematodes, or better yet, feed the wild birds (or get chickens). If you encourage birds into your garden, the slugs will be eaten. I've managed to have very successful hostas that way.
              We have more birds than you could shake even a big stick at and they don't seem to even make a dent in the slug/snail population, sadly.
              Pellets are a PITA though, they look ugly and don't last.

Why ban slug pellets but not chemicals which kill bees though
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Birds will happily eat beer/yeast soaked snail/slug remains.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X