• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

You don't need to go overseas. You switch to Newcastle instead of London, or anywhere that's not The Bay in USA.
    That's why I said "UK" and "US" rather than "London" and "Bay Area".

My remote and hybrid clients have been all over the UK. They just happen to have hubs in different UK cities.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Though it depends on your living situation. If you are living in a small house or flat with kids or housemates or a partner, it might be a relief to get into the office. When we were all 'home schooling' especially, I'd frequently be in Teams meetings where you could other people having their own meetings or doing schoolwork since they had to share the kitchen table, as many didn't choose a home with an office in mind.

Hence the desire for larger houses I guess, and surges in country living.
      Related: I was just on a Teams call with one of the other developers sharing his screen as we tried to track down a weird bug he had, when he broke off briefly, then came back and said "Sorry, I was just having a row with my partner because she's got a meeting and wants to sit here for it. Can I call back in about half-an-hour?"

I know they've just moved, so I assume it's a case of there being precisely one location on the premises where what's behind them on camera looks acceptable for a work meeting

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Related: I was just on a Teams call with one of the other developers sharing his screen as we tried to track down a weird bug he had, when he broke off briefly, then came back and said "Sorry, I was just having a row with my partner because she's got a meeting and wants to sit here for it. Can I call back in about half-an-hour?"

I know they've just moved, so I assume it's a case of there being precisely one location on the premises where what's behind them on camera looks acceptable for a work meeting
        Loads of people I've been working with are in bedrooms or the kitchen.

Some change room at between 3.15pm - 4.15pm as it is clear it is one of their kids' bedrooms.

However I've never seen so many bedrooms with beds very neatly made in the last two years.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I don't do video teams/zoom/whatever meetings. audio only.

Comment

Originally posted by jainnode View Post

That's another thing I've noticed: manager-type people tend to have their cameras on, while developers tend to keep them off. One of the product managers on my current team commented about it in this morning's standup. I turned my camera on briefly just to prove that I was not, in fact, sat there in my pants. The other devs didn't

Comment

Though it depends on your living situation. If you are living in a small house or flat with kids or housemates or a partner, it might be a relief to get into the office. When we were all 'home schooling' especially, I'd frequently be in Teams meetings where you could other people having their own meetings or doing schoolwork since they had to share the kitchen table, as many didn't choose a home with an office in mind.

Hence the desire for larger houses I guess, and surges in country living.
              Yep, my mate has been working from remote for the past 10 years with no complaints. Then covid happened and he was stuck in a small house with wife and kid. He got so frustrated that as soon as he could he started going to the public library 3 times a week to do get some work done.

Comment

When you do meetings in person, do you put a box over your head? Seems a bit daft. Many places have video as mandatory and personally I think if it's a meeting you are actively participating in, that's reasonable. Common courtesy really.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Speaking of, recently my line manager (I'm permie) suggested I put the video on every once in a while in meetings and alluded by doing that it'd be much easier for me to advance in my career.

I guess impeccable work isn't enough anymore.

Comment

When you do meetings in person, do you put a box over your head? Seems a bit daft. Many places have video as mandatory and personally I think if it's a meeting you are actively participating in, that's reasonable. Common courtesy really.
                    i only do remote work.i'll use video for interviews, but not bau.
                    and i don't really care what you think. you do what You like, i'll do what I like.

Comment

i only do remote work.i'll use video for interviews, but not bau.
                      and i don't really care what you think. you do what You like, i'll do what I like.
                      What a ray of sunshine. Have a lovely weekend
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X