• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody wanting to help Syrian/Palestinian/Yemeni refugees?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Well, do more then before you rail on about how other people behave. You might also read the stories in various papers of the experiences of those British people who did take Afghans, Sirians etc. into their homes over the past few years.

You could even bring some into your home. You may choose the ethnicity/nationality. Or, if you don't want to be accused of double standards or hypocrisy, you could just pick at random.

The fact is that people feel a closer connection to those who are more like them. You may not like that fact, but better selective humanitarianism than no humanitarianism. The person on the receiving end of the help doesn't care - they just need help.

As for no one giving a damn, five years ago, I was working extensively with refugees from all nationalities coming into Switzerland. I was by no means alone in helping. Receiving them into the country, getting clothing to them, feeding them. Even took one into my home for six months. Then the massive flood of refugees/asylum seekers waned to a trickle. Now it's a massive flood again and the need is NOW.

So go help whoever you want to help, but don't whine about what other people are doing on some false narrative about how awful the West is. Some of us are doing a heck of lot.
    There are always people who will help others no matter what and God bless them for it. What we should not stand for is hyopcricy where injustice against "Europeans" is not ok and we turn a blind eye when it's not as close to home but the perpetrators our "own people". So if we sanction Russia then we should also sanction Israel and Saudi.

Comment

Just do good. Again, what are you trying to achieve? To get people to wake up to the fact that there's injustice in world? And people aren't always fair in their treatment to all people?

I think we're all aware of that.

Oh, and I've warned you before about your Israel/Saudi conspiracy theorising. Thread locked.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
      X