• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom: Chelsea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom: Chelsea

Chelsea among Abramovich assets frozen by UK government

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/60688168

In the old days, clubs with financial irregularities were demoted.

Why do I suspect that Chelsea will not be subject to the rules that apply to everyone else?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Why do I suspect that Chelsea will not be subject to the rules that apply to everyone else?
      Because there is no financial irregularity. The club haven't done anything wrong and in fact the owner was trying to extricate themself from the situation.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm not sure its necessarily club irregularities here (everyone knows London is awash with dirty Russian money, but it was to the benefit of the city so it was ignored). The issue will be if (when) the club can't pay wages in the next few months since Abramovich won't be able to launder his money through the club. Will the players be sold, refuse to play etc?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Because there is no financial irregularity. The club haven't done anything wrong and in fact the owner was trying to extricate themself from the situation.
          Well, it depends on how the rules are interpreted...
          https://www.thefa.com/football-rules...ial-regulation
          Owners’ and Directors’ Test

The Owners’ and Directors’ Test applies to all clubs in the Premier League, English Football League, National League, Isthmian League, Northern Premier League, Southern Football League, WSL and Women's Championship. The purpose of the Test is for the owners, directors and officers of clubs in those leagues to meet standards greater than that required under law so as to protect the reputation and image of the game.
          The owner of the club has been sanctioned, the question is: does being sanctioned show standards greater than that required under law? And does the owner of the club being sanctioned damage the reputation and image of the game?

Comment

Well, it depends on how the rules are interpreted...
            https://www.thefa.com/football-rules...ial-regulation

The owner of the club has been sanctioned, the question is: does being sanctioned show standards greater than that required under law? And does the owner of the club being sanctioned damage the reputation and image of the game?
            I have been curious how there is legal power for such far-reaching sanctions - they seem to include seizing assets, freezing bank accounts and in some cases, just taking the money (or selling the assets). Seemingly just "because we don't like Putin" - never thought about it before but there must be very specific legal procedures for all this. Under what grounds can UK government do this to Russian citizens, what branch of law is it?

Comment

I have been curious how there is legal power for such far-reaching sanctions - they seem to include seizing assets, freezing bank accounts and in some cases, just taking the money (or selling the assets). Seemingly just "because we don't like Putin" - never thought about it before but there must be very specific legal procedures for all this. Under what grounds can UK government do this to Russian citizens, what branch of law is it?
              Something to do with this...
              https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...implementation

(But I've not looked at it, so no idea)

Comment

It's this - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...-rights-regime

Forty-nine individuals and organisations involved in some of the most notorious human rights violations and abuses in recent years have been designated for sanctions under a powerful new regime established today by the UK, the Foreign Secretary has announced.

The individuals and organisations are the first wave of designations under the new regime, with further sanctions expected in the coming months.

From today, the ground-breaking global regime means the UK has new powers to stop those involved in serious human rights abuses and violations from entering the country, channelling money through UK banks, or profiting from our economy.

The measures will target individuals and organisations, rather than nations.

It is the first time that the UK has sanctioned people or entities for human rights violations and abuses under a UK-only regime, and will allow the UK to work independently with allies such as the US, Canada, Australia and the European Union.

The UK’s first wave of sanctions under this new regime targeted:
                • 25 Russian nationals involved in the mistreatment and death of auditor Sergei Magnitsky, who uncovered widespread Russian corruption by a group of Russian tax and police officials
                • 20 Saudi nationals involved in the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi
                • 2 high-ranking Myanmar military generals involved in the systematic and brutal violence against the Rohingya people and other ethnic minorities
                • 2 organisations involved in the forced labour, torture and murder that takes place in North Korea’s gulags

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The UK’s first wave of sanctions under this new regime targeted:
                  • 25 Russian nationals involved in the mistreatment and death of auditor Sergei Magnitsky, who uncovered widespread Russian corruption by a group of Russian tax and police officials
                  • 20 Saudi nationals involved in the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi
                  • 2 high-ranking Myanmar military generals involved in the systematic and brutal violence against the Rohingya people and other ethnic minorities
                  • 2 organisations involved in the forced labour, torture and murder that takes place in North Korea’s gulags
                  No CUK mods? I guess they'll come later...

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

No CUK mods? I guess they'll come later...
                    Isn't AtW a wealthy Russian businessman?

Comment

Working...
                    X