• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government Lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government Lies

Appears that every time you think this government have can't go any lower, they do.

They are now blaming the war in Ukraine on the cost of living crisis.

Source - Martin Lewis https://twitter.com/jamiemroberton/s...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Martin Lewis [@MartinSLewis] on @BBCr4today
    just now: "I am slightly worried that we are seeing potentially a deliberate narrative shift that effectively says the entire cost of living crisis is due to Ukraine and we all need to make sacrifices - that is not correct"

Last edited by SueEllen; 10 March 2022, 10:57.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

What are the blaming the NHS crisis, climate crisis, and partygate crisis on?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      What are the blaming the NHS crisis,
      War in Ukraine - some of the black and asian students who had to flee included medical students.

climate crisis,
      War in Ukraine - due to embargo on Russian oil and gas

and partygate crisis on?
      What are you talking about? There were no parties there were just gatherings. Oh look over there ----> there's a squirrel!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        They are now blaming the war in Ukraine on the cost of living crisis.
        The war happened because of UK cost of lving? I don't think they said that.

OTOH the UK situation IS going to be hugely affected by the war. That's not a lie.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          The war happened because of UK cost of lving? I don't think they said that.

OTOH the UK situation IS going to be hugely affected by the war. That's not a lie.
          Sorry I appeared to have confused you.

These things were happening before the war:
          1. Energy prices were rising
          2. NI rise to pay for social care
          3. Council tax rise due to decimation caused by austerity
          4. Rise in food prices etc linked to rise in energy prices
          5. NHS crisis due to Covid backlog, lack of staff, austerity and waste in the NHS crisis
          6. Climate crisis
          7. Partygate

They are now all being blamed on the war in Ukraine not on government policies. Remember the Tories have been in power since 2011.

Comment

Sorry I appeared to have confused you.
            You said the UK cost of living crisis caused the war in Ukraine

Anyway, most of those things you mention are inconsequential. It's all about the energy prices the rest is small potatoes. The coming crisis is going to be mostly due to Ukraine because that's what is going to keep petrol and energy prices sky-high when they would otherwise start to ease. It's not hard to understand surely, that most of our gas comes from Russia.

The current crisis is not due to Russia, the continuation/exacerbation of it will be.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Anyway, most of those things you mention are inconsequential. It's all about the energy prices the rest is small potatoes. The coming crisis is going to be mostly due to Ukraine because that's what is going to keep petrol and energy prices sky-high when they would otherwise start to ease. It's not hard to understand surely, that most of our gas comes from Russia.

The current crisis is not really due to Russia, the continuation/exacerbation of it will be.
              Actually the UK doesn't - https://inews.co.uk/news/uk-gas-wher...lained-1504257

Germany and the Netherlands do though.

For those who don't want to click the link -
              Western Europe gets 35% of their gas from Russia.
              UK only gets 3% Most of our gas comes from the North sea and Norway.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 10 March 2022, 11:26.

Comment

The current crisis is not due to Russia, the continuation/exacerbation of it will be.
                Under 4% of our gas comes from Russia. And that is being reduced to zero. It's Germany and Italy who are most affected, and guess who has been dragging their heels over sanctions until very recently...

Oil prices are dropping again as OPEC is releasing more reserves. However the previous steady rate of rise will likely continue, and profiteering by the major suppliers isn't going away so the effect will be negligible. Worth noting prices are going up in America, where they are nearly self-reliant for both oil and gas.

If the energy crisis (which has been predicted for many years in the UK) has any good effect, it might be the minimising of the Net Zero bollocks until we are in a position to do something about achieving it.

Fuel prices are impacted disproportionately because of the fuel duty, which goes up in line with product costs, and with VAT on top of that. Reducing that duty would cancel out the immediate effects without harming the planned revenue income overmuch. I'm not expecting Sunak to do any quite so sensible though.

The war is having an impact of course, but it is a long way from the main issue.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Germany and the Netherlands do though.

For those who don't want to click the link -
                  Western Europe gets 35% of their gas from Russia.
                  UK only gets 3% Most of our gas comes from the North sea and Norway.
                  Not disputing those figures, but I distinctly remember about 20 years ago Robin Cook (remember him) announcing with a big fanfare that the UK was about to sign a deal with Russia to supply the UK with gas or oil (?) for the next 30 years.

At the time, I laughed out loud, and wished I could have some of what he was smoking! But I think the prevailing view then, certainly in the EU, was that allowing Western Europe to become dependent on Russia for energy supplies would somehow constrain them to behave, rather than the opposite.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

UK only gets 3% Most of our gas comes from Scotland and Norway.
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X