• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government Lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common misconception around fuel prices is that if we were self reliant, would the price come down. Not necessarily as the price of oil and gas is a global not local one.

Unless, of course, we start up our own internal market for oil and gas like major producing countries do.

Comment

Don't think most of the rises due to other factors were anything like those currently happening due to the Ukraine war.

Oil prices have jumped more than 30% since 24 February. This will have big indirect consequences on other prices due to delivery costs.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 10 March 2022, 12:48.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Common misconception around fuel prices is that if we were self reliant, would the price come down. Not necessarily as the price of oil and gas is a global not local one.

Unless, of course, we start up our own internal market for oil and gas like major producing countries do.
        You'd like to think that if we were self-reliant, and the country was therefore generating more tax revenue from our own oil production, that the government might to able to reduce the tax on sales.

Of course, that would never happen.

Comment

Aaaaagh. Price of beer will go up!

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...a-b986012.html
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Pasta too. Lucky I still have all that stuff i bought in April 2020.
            Last edited by Paralytic; 10 March 2022, 16:15.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Don't they just tax it less at home and have a sovereign wealth fund?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Pasta too. Lucky I still have all that stuff i bought in April 2020.
                Checked my prepper supplies, an to my horror found that my "spaghetti" was actually linguini, which I had accidently bought instead.

Although they look very similar, I hate linguini, as it reminds me of tapeworms (or how I imagine they look, as I've never actually seen one)

So I've had to bin the lot and buy a load of proper spaghetti.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Sorry I appeared to have confused you.

These things were happening before the war:
                  1. Energy prices were rising
                  2. NI rise to pay for social care
                  3. Council tax rise due to decimation caused by austerity
                  4. Rise in food prices etc linked to rise in energy prices
                  5. NHS crisis due to Covid backlog, lack of staff, austerity and waste in the NHS crisis
                  6. Climate crisis
                  7. Partygate

They are now all being blamed on the war in Ukraine not on government policies. Remember the Tories have been in power since 2011.
                  I agree that the government lies, but so do the media and the opposition - so just another day really.

1. Due to money printing and shutting down nuclear and fracking.
                  2. Aging population.
                  3. Eye-watering pensions for senior council staff.
                  4. See 1
                  5. Awful management and waste (still employing more diversity outreach managers though).
                  6. Solar cycle.
                  7. Nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

I agree that the government lies, but so do the media and the opposition - so just another day really.
                    Wake up to the TRUTH SHEEPLE!

Although points 1 to 5 I agree with you. What do we want? More nukes. When do we want them? Ten years ago!
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Wake up to the TRUTH SHEEPLE!

Although points 1 to 5 I agree with you. What do we want? More nukes. When do we want them? Ten years ago!
                      I just want nukes that are faster than Vlads , note he waited until he had supersonic nukes before he kicked this off. It was a hardly subtle hint at his intentions.

The mutually & assured bits are a big part of the success of MAD. If he can track submarines he is able to remove those from the equation.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X