• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[OFFICIAL] Ukraine Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Who'd have thought we'd so soon be looking back to the rosy days when all we had to worry about was Covid?
    Covid is a lot worse. However, in a way we were lucky that Covid leaked from Wuhan when it did. Had Covid been developed further and leaked at a later date, then what? Labs are going to be a bit more careful.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by @ArmsControlWonk
      I have spent my entire career doing #OSINT and even I think it’s weird that we were able to see the first signs of the invasion using @googlemaps’s traffic layer. https://twitter.com/armscontrolwonk/...57816740036616

According @googlemaps, there is a "traffic jam" at 3:15 in the morning on the road from Belgorod, Russia to the Ukrainian border. It starts *exactly* where we saw a Russian formation of armor and IFV/APCs show up yesterday.
      Someone's on the move. https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/...036616/photo/1
      https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/...29494744297473
      Google Maps screenshot showing heavy traffic on the road from Krasnoye, Russia to Ukraine.

Last edited by NickFitz; 24 February 2022, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Boris Johnson has threatened to write a strongly worded letter to their bank manager, so expect de-escalation presently.
        As if Putin gives two hoots what that yapping poodle says!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Boris Johnson has threatened to write a strongly worded letter to their bank manager, so expect de-escalation presently.
          "Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me some more money, you bastard.
          May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Boris."

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

As if Putin gives two hoots what that yapping poodle says!
            I understand now why Putin didn't recognise Biden for a few weeks and wanted B... with yappy in charge. Covid must be annoying for him. Hopefully there is a virulent mutation that takes hold on the Russian side.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I imagine Putin is only interested in Eastern Ukraine (for now). For a start it is a lot flatter than the more westerly parts, and thus easier to defend from insurgents.

But also, maybe precisely because it is so flat, it constitutes the majority of arable land in Ukraine. Apparently, Ukraine has a total population of c 40M but can grow enough wheat for 150M, food that Russia will now control.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The UK needs to threaten to move all Russian oligarchs inside IR35 and this will be over tomorrow.

Comment

I imagine Putin is only interested in Eastern Ukraine (for now). For a start it is a lot flatter than the more westerly parts, and thus easier to defend from insurgents.

But also, maybe precisely because it is so flat, it constitutes the majority of arable land in Ukraine. Apparently, Ukraine has a total population of c 40M but can grow enough wheat for 150M, food that Russia will now control.
                  Kiev isn't in eastern Ukraine. Plans, helicopters, and drones with army insignia identifiers removed have been flying and firing towards western Ukraine too.

As for the food comment: not in terms of international law. The land still belongs to Ukraine. I expect this to remain as such, given the way in which Russia has behaved these last 2 days.

Comment

Logic would point towards Putin only being interested in Eastern Ukraine but even the current incursion is an over-reaction to the situation that could have been solved diplomatically. Furthermore, Putin's speech mentioned indirectly the overthrow of the current Ukrainian government.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Pheww, that's alright then.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...-tells-taiwan/
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X