• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free money for the Yoof!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free money for the Yoof!

I must be going soft in my old age, but I like the idea of the Welsh giving out free money. I don't mean that sarcastically.

Welsh Government slammed over £20million basic income pilot scheme handing teenagers £1,600-a-MONTH | Daily Mail Online

The comments section in the DM is a fun read, I mean that sarcastically.

PC will first in line after adjusting his passport.

Comment

FFS They need support not just more money.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good job we aren't paying for it and we don't have more important things to spend it on!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Next they'll be getting free university education, and free milk at school...
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

UBI is gaining quite a bit of support. The arguments made are quite interesting, certainly more so than the derisory "communists giving everyone free money why would they ever work" line you'll see a lot.
            I'm not in favour but I'm open to rethinking that if trials show good results. At the very least, anything which could put an end to the misery of the JobCentre, punitive benefits sanctions and a system which assumes everyone on benefits is lying has to be given a chance to say its piece.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              UBI is gaining quite a bit of support. The arguments made are quite interesting, certainly more so than the derisory "communists giving everyone free money why would they ever work" line you'll see a lot.
              I'm not in favour but I'm open to rethinking that if trials show good results. At the very least, anything which could put an end to the misery of the JobCentre, punitive benefits sanctions and a system which assumes everyone on benefits is lying has to be given a chance to say its piece.
              The misery of the job centre can be easily solved by getting a job. I know plenty of employers wanting to hire staff.

I agree punitive sanctions should be managed it is a bullies charter.

Some people don't actually want to work this clearly documented. I would make those claiming benefits attend daily training after 3-6 months.
              Very possible now with zoom & teams.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The misery of the job centre can be easily solved by getting a job. I know plenty of employers wanting to hire staff.

But are they prepared to pay their staff a living wage appropriate for the location?

Some people don't actually want to work this clearly documented. I would make those claiming benefits attend daily training after 3-6 months.
                Exactly how high is unemployment these days? It's not the 12% levels of the 1980s, it's around 4%.

If you look at how many people claiming JSA, it's 137,000, a far cry from the 3.3million unemployed in 1984.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

But are they prepared to pay their staff a living wage appropriate for the location?

Exactly how high is unemployment these days? It's not the 12% levels of the 1980s, it's around 4%.

If you look at how many people claiming JSA, it's 137,000, a far cry from the 3.3million unemployed in 1984.
                  Well now we aren't undercutting the locals with eastern Europeans then yes which is why the employers are bleating like NLUK down the docks on a Friday night!

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-february-2021

JSA=340,000.

By the way plenty moved from JSA to disability under all governments.

Comment

And they'll take anyone who applies will they? Even by your standards this is condescending. Are you really so detached from reality in your professional middle-class bubble, or just trolling?

If the cost of forcing a minority who don't want to work through all these hoops to get their benefits was more than the cost of just giving them the benefits, would you still say so? i.e. are you arguing for economic reasons, or you just feel "it's not fair" that people get a pittance for doing nothing.
                    This is a central argument of UBI, that it simplifies everything and can end up saving money. I also morally feel that people should be encouraged to work which makes me instinctively dislike UBI but that is partly just my bias from a right-wing upbringing hearing about "scroungers" - should pragmatism win over idealism? Are those who put so much effort into not working best allowed to opt out?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X