• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free money for the Yoof!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Sadly there seems to be no support for a total overhaul. Tinkering around the edges and adding faulty sticking plasters to complicate things further is all that will happen, so UBI in the UK will never work properly.
    It will work properly when you are Chancellor of the Exchequer.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well universal Credit was a pretty big shake-up on the benefits side, and that went pretty badly.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Well universal Credit was a pretty big shake-up on the benefits side, and that went pretty badly.
        Actually it went quite well, think of the millions moved over with mostly no issues. It would have gone a lot better if the MPs who wrote the specifications had understood its customers.
        1. weekly paid minimum wage workers don't have a 6 week buffer before they get paid, that was obvious.
        2. If you don't carefully define what constitutes a reason for sanctions power mad scumbags will fling them about like cornflakes.

other really stupid stuff happened but the project actually worked.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Actually it went quite well, think of the millions moved over with mostly no issues.
          When we're talking about critical benefits "quite well" is really pretty bad.

If your or my council tax gets screwed up and we have to spend weeks or months wrangling with the council to figure it out, that is annoying. If you stop getting benefits and you can't afford food that is awful. "mostly no issues" doesn't really cut it for the thousands who were in that sort of situation. For them it was catastrophic. Can you imagine if your ability to feed your family relies on the council switch-board operator, or the computer erroneously sanctions you and it takes months to resolve?

UC is IMO great in theory but was a devastating experience for a lot of people - we've links with local food banks and it was a common theme of new customers when the switch was going on.

Comment

Actually it went quite well, think of the millions moved over with mostly no issues.
            It didn't go well.

Far too many people were edge cases.

This took a lot of money and time to fix. Fine if you have savings but if you are on UC you don't have savings...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It didn't go well.

This took a lot of money and time to fix. Fine if you have savings but if you are on UC you don't have savings...
              As a project it went well, as an implementation of a new benefit system designed by moron MPs it predictably went badly. They are two separate things.

I did point out the failings in my post but you ignored them.

Comment

As a project it went well, as an implementation of a new benefit system designed by moron MPs it predictably went badly. They are two separate things.

I did point out the failings in my post but you ignored them.
                So it went well except for the implementation and design. Got it. The system was designed by the civil service, only the policy is designed by the government - bit like on the apprentice where they have a skilled design team trying to follow 4 people giving conflicting instructions "we want it to be cool but also very traditional, colorful but understated".

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

So it went well except for the implementation and design. Got it. The system was designed by the civil service, only the policy is designed by the government - bit like on the apprentice where they have a skilled design team trying to follow 4 people giving conflicting instructions "we want it to be cool but also very traditional, colorful but understated".
                  The items I mentioned were defined in the law used to create the system. The civil service or technical people probably raised this but were ignored.

But the figures suggest its as good than if not better performing than historical benefits and 5 million people are using it in a few short years.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It didn't go well.

If you go and read vetran's complete post he posted 2 reasons why it failed both of which can be pointed at the Government for not listening as they were both known issues on the day of the original announcement.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

If you go and read vetran's complete post he posted 2 reasons why it failed both of which can be pointed at the Government for not listening as they were both known issues on the day of the original announcement.
                      So what? He can't claim it failed and that it went well. Well, apparently he can, but it makes little sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X