• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vexing phrases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    When people use literally incorrectly. Only this morning some put in our chat they 'literally drank their bodyweight on Friday night'
    So that literally makes my blood boil.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Beginning with "so" is incorrect, if there is no preceding statement from which this statement follows on, or if "so" is followed by a justifying statement (as in, "So, because people start speaking with the word 'so', they are irritating f***wits"). "So, I'm James and I'm a f***wit" is grammatically incorrect.
      Exactly. It's an attempt to subliminally suggest "This is so", or "so be it", like an all-knowing oracle uttering unassailable words of wisdom.

"So, I'm the departmental head. My name is Dee, and I'm part mental!"
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Exactly. It's an attempt to subliminally suggest "This is so", or "so be it", like an all-knowing oracle uttering unassailable words of wisdom.
        Not in my experience. Younger people use it to demonstrate uncertainty or awkwardness. "soooo, I'm gluten-intolerant."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          When people use literally incorrectly. Only this morning some put in our chat they 'literally drank their bodyweight on Friday night'
          You told him he was a lightweight?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post

"Its" when it should be "it's"
            Apostrophes are for dumb****s who cant understand context, they were invented only @500 years ago by some verbose Italian. If it isnt spoken it isnt needed; the ancient Greeks and Romans had no use of spaces or full-stops (or any other grammatical interlopers really) and they got along fine with their literature.

All they do do is give pedants a reason to feel superior when in reality they ought to look at themselves as nemorepentefuitstultissimus
            Last edited by Gibbon; 7 February 2022, 17:27.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Apostrophes are for dumb****s who cant understand context, they were invented only @500 years ago by some verbose Italian. If it isnt spoken it isnt needed; the ancient Greeks and Romans had no use of spaces or full-stops (or any other grammatical interlopers really) and they got along fine with their literature.

All they do do is give pedants a reason to feel superior when in reality they ought to look at themselves as nemorepentefuitstultissimus
              I think you'll find that is not everyone's viewpoint. For example "I forgot my lunch so I ate my workmates".

HTH. BIDI...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I think you'll find that is not everyone's viewpoint. For example "I forgot my lunch so I ate my workmates".

HTH. BIDI...
                Context fecking hell M didnt expect you to roll out that trite example. Spoken it would make perfect sense, why should the written word be different?
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Apostrophes are for dumb****s who cant understand context, they were invented only @500 years ago by some verbose Italian. If it isnt spoken it isnt needed; the ancient Greeks and Romans had no use of spaces or full-stops (or any other grammatical interlopers really) and they got along fine with their literature. ..
                  To be fair though, most Romans found reading text like that quite challenging and would read aloud. Julius Caesar was the first person recorded as being able to read without speaking the text or even moving his lips, and everyone marvelled at that amazing ability!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Context fecking hell M didnt expect you to roll out that trite example. Spoken it would make perfect sense, why should the written word be different?
                    Because I can read? And, unlike most of the last two generations, I was taught English, rather than picking it up from a variety of illiterate sources.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Because I can read? And, unlike most of the last two generations, I was taught English, rather than picking it up from a variety of illiterate sources.
                      So you're boasting that your learning makes you struggle to understand something an illiterate would not find confusing?

Sorry but they still teach English at school, they just don't teach much grammar because the language is tending towards function over form. Sorry to break it to you but what you were taught is no longer 'proper English' anyway. Move with the times grandad.

Comment

Working...
                      X