• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Northern Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

You actually believe that's what the troubles in Ireland was about ? Stay behind in history class tomorrow and do some reading.
    Strange it did seem quite important which religion you were to the two sides.

The chap who knew "the Lads" was a 'feckin pope lover' and the Orangeman was a 'filthy sash wearing proddy' (their banter not mine they were actually great friends but there was definitely religious lines between the two sides)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segreg...%22Troubles%22.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles

Agree its not entirely religion but.....

As always religion gets big into the wars. If religion or similar ideology isn't involved the wars tend to come to a fairly quick end as sensible people don't want to die for nothing.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It has nothing to do with religion it's just which colour shirt you wear. You hate Catholics because they're Catholics not because you have the slightest understanding how Catholic and Protestant doctrine varies. If you followed either doctrine you wouldn't want to fight someone for following the other.

It's as absurd as two groups of 'pacifists' fighting over which pacifist teaching they align with.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It has nothing to do with religion it's just which colour shirt you wear. You hate Catholics because they're Catholics not because you have the slightest understanding how Catholic and Protestant doctrine varies. If you followed either doctrine you wouldn't want to fight someone for following the other.

It's as absurd as two groups of 'pacifists' fighting over which pacifist teaching they align with.
        Funny. Most of the Northern Irish I know (and the wife's family lives in Belfast) are acutely aware of the religion of their neighbours. My cousin-in-law is a retired RUC sergeant and has very clear ideas on the causes of the Troubles. It goes a lot deeper than simply not liking the other version of Christianity, on both sides. In fact it goes back about 332 years. Unless and until they can get away from that kind of thinking, there will always be conflict.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I don't hate Catholics or even any religion I just see it as misguided being an Atheist. I am a big fan of the devout who want to help the world. But it is clear religion is Marmite in conflicts.

You do know Islam , Judaism and Christianity actually have the same GOD? strange that they hate each other in many cases.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Funny. Most of the Northern Irish I know (and the wife's family lives in Belfast) are acutely aware of the religion of their neighbours. My cousin-in-law is a retired RUC sergeant and has very clear ideas on the causes of the Troubles. It goes a lot deeper than simply not liking the other version of Christianity, on both sides. In fact it goes back about 332 years. Unless and until they can get away from that kind of thinking, there will always be conflict.
            When William gave the French a bashing?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

When William gave the French a bashing?
              Jesus. Does nobody ever read any history?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                Time for re-unification.
                I made exactly the same suggestion (at the top of my voice) while watching a Wales-Ireland 6 Nations match in an Irish bar in Brussels a few years ago. It went down very well with the green clad drunken masses.
                Bar got a bit quiet when I added how good it would be to see the Union Jack flying over Dublin again

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post

I made exactly the same suggestion (at the top of my voice) while watching a Wales-Ireland 6 Nations match in an Irish bar in Brussels a few years ago. It went down very well with the green clad drunken masses.
                  Bar got a bit quiet when I added how good it would be to see the Union Jack flying over Dublin again
                  And you lived to tell the tale?

You should try out for Team GB sprint squad.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Jesus. Does nobody ever read any history?
                    And you can see on the very page you linked that the French were one of the main Belligerents (with the Dutch the other)

I'm guessing you just know the Cliff Notes version of history
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

And you can see on the very page you linked that the French were one of the main Belligerents (with the Dutch the other)

I'm guessing you just know the Cliff Notes version of history
                      Not really, I've read a few books on the subject, from Boyne up to the Easter Rising. I was routinely working in Belfast in the early 80s as well, so I have a bit more of an interest than most non-Irish, although mostly my interest was around the wider questions of the unification arguments.

That said, I still think trying to base your life and beliefs around something that was settled 350 years ago is more than a little selfish (it applies to the Scots and quite a few Welsh as well). It doesn't survive by itself, it's handed on as tradition across the generations. In reality, it's nothing more than an excuse for the local criminals to claim a political motivation. The reunification argument is a whole other issue in a modern democracy.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X