• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's that Skippy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's that Skippy?

Originally posted by BBCNews

Morocco has been gripped by efforts to rescue a child who fell into a well near the northern city of Chefchaouen.

The child, who local media have identified as a five-year-old boy named Reyan, was reportedly accompanying his father who had been repairing the well when the accident occurred.

He is believed to have fallen to a depth of around 32m (104 ft).

Rescue operations, led by by Morocco's Civil Protection Directorate, have been ongoing since Tuesday afternoon.

Despite suffering a significant fall, footage from a camera lowered into the well showed that the boy remains alive and conscious, though he appeared to be suffering from some minor head injuries.
    Fingers crossed. But perhaps a bad choice for "bring your kid to work day".
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Lower another kid down in a bucket, like that boy in Moonfleet, to fish out the first one!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Lower another kid down in a bucket, like that boy in Moonfleet, to fish out the first one!
      Reminds me of a poem about a lady who swallowed a fly.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Reminds me of a poem about a lady who swallowed a fly.
          I don't know why she swallowed a fly, Perhaps she'll die!
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Hope he gets out OK.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Seriously, I don't understand why they couldn't have just lowered a grappling hook tied to a fibre optic drain inspection cable with a camera on the end and just grabbed the boy and hauled him up. I suppose it depends how he was trapped at the bottom, maybe stuck deep in mud and unable to use his arms.

But as I suggested before, a midget or other small kid tied by the feet and lowered down to tie a rope round the boy would have been even better. I mean it was only a hundred feet deep, hardly the Gouffre Berger.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Seriously, I don't understand why they couldn't have just lowered a grappling hook tied to a fibre optic drain inspection cable with a camera on the end and just grabbed the boy and hauled him up. I suppose it depends how he was trapped at the bottom, maybe stuck deep in mud and unable to use his arms.

But as I suggested before, a midget or other small kid tied by the feet and lowered down to tie a rope round the boy would have been even better. I mean it was only a hundred feet deep, hardly the Gouffre Berger.
                With the grappling hook idea, it depends how it's attached. I wouldn't fancy holding onto a hook, knowing that if my hands slip then I'll fall back down. If it was hooked through his shirt, are you sure that the fabric would take the weight rather than ripping in half?

As for lowering someone else, it's worth noting the size of the hole. According to the BBC articles, it was 25cm at the top, which is the same as the longest edge on my iPad. The child who fell down was 5 years old, so the rescuer would need to be a similar age. There are ethical issues about putting another young child in danger, and practical issues about whether they'd have the dexterity to tie a rope or adjust a carabiner. (I think lots of 5 year olds would struggle to tie their own shoelaces.) An adult dwarf (e.g. Peter Dinklage) would probably still be too big to fit down the hole.

More generally, I think it's reasonable to assume that the rescuers on site would have considered these options. So, if they went with "operation dig a huge hole", knowing the time and expense involved, they probably had a good reason.

Sadly (as per another thread), the boy died after he was rescued:
                Rayan: Moroccan boy trapped in well for four days dies - BBC News

Comment

Oh dear... https://www.lpaonline.org/the-m-word
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Hope he gets out OK.
                    Sadly not

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rapped-in-well

Comment

Working...
                    X