• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KVM or Docking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KVM or Docking?

I thought I would utilise the "collective wisdom" of CUK.

Having built the new gaming PC, I am reusing the old one, bit of a clean up & new case etc (not as fancy as the gaming one) as this is just for my design software & running the Cricut.

So what I want to do is have it in the same space as my WFH set up, I want to use the same monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.

I was looking at KVM switches & there was a comment about you cant use them with a laptop that only has 1 HDMI output, but then there are many discussions about using a docking station instead of a KVM & it all started to get very nerdy.... hence coming here

So I have a windows PC & a HP elitebook 830 GS that has a G2 thunderbolt dock.

What I want is a simple solution to share 1 monitor, keyboard, mouse & 4 USB peripherals, the option to add a 2nd monitor would be nice.

I will not be running PC & laptop at the same time.

I don't solely WFH so the ease of the single thunderbolt cable to connect the Laptop is lovely.

I don't want to spend excessively but if the solution is expensive, so be it.

So what do you use / would recommend?

Thanks
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

One computer will be used at a time?

I would suggest getting a Gigabyte Titan Ridge Rev.2.0 Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Add In Card LN109303 - GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) | SCAN UK and then swapping the thunderbolt cable between the 2 computers. or get a second cable and then swap the one connected to the dock.

That to me feels like the easiest option unless the computer is a long way away from the dock.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I had a similiar problem to yours and used this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is actually a monitor cable running from each computer and the monitor is able to switch between inputs. Then I use USB for the microphone, speaker and keyboard / mouse and switch those with the box I linked to above. If you only use one at a time, it's automatic. if you use both at the same time, you have to manually switch the little black box and monitor but that's no big deal.

Edit: Just realized that I don't really understand about the dock and thunderbolt, so take my suggestion for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        One computer will be used at a time?

I would suggest getting a Gigabyte Titan Ridge Rev.2.0 Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Add In Card LN109303 - GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) | SCAN UK and then swapping the thunderbolt cable between the 2 computers. or get a second cable and then swap the one connected to the dock.

That to me feels like the easiest option unless the computer is a long way away from the dock.
        This could work!

Thanks
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

INKSPE I have 5 monitors and 4 laptops on my 8 ft desk but I'm a hoarder!

Try this

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-yo...ulti-pc-setup/

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            INKSPE I have 5 monitors and 4 laptops on my 8 ft desk but I'm a hoarder!

Try this

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-yo...ulti-pc-setup/
            Work laptop though so Halo may not be able to install any software on it.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

eek - you are correct in that no software on the laptop

I like the idea of the PCIe option, its simple & practical - just need to find one which will work on a Z87 chipset

vetran in this house we have
              • 3 tablets
              • 2 laptops
              • 2 gaming PCs
              • 1 NUC
              • 1 VR rig
              • 2 music writing PCs
              • 1 server
              • 1 craft / design PC
              • 1 streaming set up
              • 10 various monitors
              • There is an Atari thing too
              So yes we are hoarders too
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Work laptop though so Halo may not be able to install any software on it.
                good point but worth mentioning , it may be her peers have a similar issues and IT may sponsor the software. Some KVM software has a hardware option for ones you cannot install software.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  I thought I would utilise the "collective wisdom" of CUK.

Having built the new gaming PC, I am reusing the old one, bit of a clean up & new case etc (not as fancy as the gaming one) as this is just for my design software & running the Cricut.

So what I want to do is have it in the same space as my WFH set up, I want to use the same monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.

I was looking at KVM switches & there was a comment about you cant use them with a laptop that only has 1 HDMI output, but then there are many discussions about using a docking station instead of a KVM & it all started to get very nerdy.... hence coming here

So I have a windows PC & a HP elitebook 830 GS that has a G2 thunderbolt dock.

What I want is a simple solution to share 1 monitor, keyboard, mouse & 4 USB peripherals, the option to add a 2nd monitor would be nice.

I will not be running PC & laptop at the same time.

I don't solely WFH so the ease of the single thunderbolt cable to connect the Laptop is lovely.

I don't want to spend excessively but if the solution is expensive, so be it.

So what do you use / would recommend?

Thanks
                  Don't ask me, I am thinking to upgrade from punched cards
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I went old school and used a good old KVM switch to connect my business laptop/gaming PC to my two monitor set up.

To tidy the whole thing up further, I have Synergy running on my Mac (so three computer set up) I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control the whole thing, so no pesky cables into the KVM switch other than the USB ones to connect laptop and PC to the switch.

Synergy can also control all three Gaming, Laptop and Mac should I choose to have the laptop lid open, should I ever need to have information from the laptop, the gaming PC and the Mac at once.

I work 100% from home though so never need to move the laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X