• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. DCXXIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. DCXXIX

Got your daily Wordle done? Good, then you can turn your attention to this lot instead
    • The True-Crime “Podcast Junkie” Turned Real-Life Murder Suspect - ”One day in late 2020, Robin Warder, host of the true-crime podcast The Trail Went Cold, noticed something odd as he scrolled through a summary of listeners who support his show through Patreon. One subscriber, Steve Pankey, had the same name as a person of interest in the unsolved 1984 disappearance of Jonelle Matthews, a lesser-known case that Warder’s show had been the first podcast to cover.” Pankey has since been arrested…
    • The Tonga eruption explained, from tsunami warnings to sonic booms - ”The volcanic plume generated record amounts of lightning before producing a blast heard thousands of miles away. Here’s what geologists say drove the event—and what may happen next.” From NatGeo, your guide to what the scientists know so far about the devastating eruption.
    • The Surprise Rescue-Within-a-Rescue in a Flooded Thai Cave - When Rick Stanton and John Volanthen began their underground journey in search of the lost Thai junior football team, they unexpectedly found another group in need of rescue: ”The men were excited to see us, and the one who came forward as their leader was the most excited of them all… Somehow, he communicated that the four of them had been working on installing the water pumps there in Chamber 3. When everybody else had made an orderly evacuation 24 hours earlier, they had been napping in an alcove. They’d slept through it all and had awoken to find themselves trapped and abandoned.”
    • A thousand-light-year-wide bubble around the Sun was blown by the ghosts of long-dead stars - ”We've known for decades that our Sun sits near the center of a vast expanding bubble in space, a growing cavity carved out of ambient gas in the Milky Way. But a remarkable new study has come out showing that nearly all the nearby gas clouds that are currently forming stars sit on the thin edge of that bubble — strongly implying that the expansion of the bubble itself triggered that star birth.”
    • Explore The Soane Museum - ”Welcome to Explore Soane. The historic house, museum and library of 19th century architect Sir John Soane – now made digital. Get closer than ever before to its fascinating objects and see its eclectic rooms in a new light.” No need to venture through the plague-ridden streets: this site lets you explore the museum in 3D
    • Can We Really Be Friends with an Octopus? - ”When Foster began following the octopus, she was wary, rarely allowing him to get close. After nearly a month of visitations, however, she stretched out one of her arms to meet his… As Foster suggests on-screen, the octopus appeared to gradually trust him, repeatedly exploring his limbs and even riding to the surface on his hand.”
    • The Medieval Queens Whose Daring, Murderous Reigns Were Quickly Forgotten - The story of rivals and sisters-in-law Brunhild and Fredegund: ”The ghosts of these two Frankish queens are everywhere. During their lifetimes, they grabbed power and hung on to it; they convinced warriors, landowners and farmers to support them, and enemies to back down. But as with so many women before them, history blotted out their successes and their biographies.”
    • The Circus Owner Who Pretended His Lion Wasn't On The Loose In Birmingham City Center - ”In the 1800s, one circus owner lost a lion in the center of the city of Birmingham, UK, then decided to simply pretend he had caught it, while it prowled the sewers below.” Any parallels to the government's policy on highly infectious respiratory disease are purely coincidental
    • What Did We Get Stuck In Our Rectums Last Year? - The record shows that I don't remember to find this one every year, but this time around you're in luck: ”Boredom, curiosity, horniness, and an awful lot of time stuck at home have combined to make it a banner 12 months for shoving objects inside ourselves that cannot be removed without the aid of a trained professional. Here now, the traditional holiday recounting of the weirdest stuff hospitals found in America’s holes.”
    • Murderers convicted for life in Kharkiv’s prison (Ukraine) - A gallery of killers photographed by David Tesinsky. You can buy prints should you be so inclined. ”LILIA CHIZHYK was convicted in 2009 of robbery series and willful murders. Number of victims: 3, Number of convictions: 2. She is serving a life sentence in a prison called #54.”

Happy invoicing!

"FOREIGN BODY IN HIS RECTUM. HE STATES HE ‘BELIEVES IT IS A VAPE’ AND IS NOT ANSWERING ANY QUESTIONS.”

Thanks Nick, spat my tea across the keyboard.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 17 January 2022, 18:15.
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Ah! That's where I left my glasses!
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

• The Surprise Rescue-Within-a-Rescue in a Flooded Thai Cave - When Rick Stanton and John Volanthen began their underground journey in search of the lost Thai junior football team, they unexpectedly found another group in need of rescue: ”The men were excited to see us, and the one who came forward as their leader was the most excited of them all… Somehow, he communicated that the four of them had been working on installing the water pumps there in Chamber 3. When everybody else had made an orderly evacuation 24 hours earlier, they had been napping in an alcove. They’d slept through it all and had awoken to find themselves trapped and abandoned.”
        Shocked that their co-workers didn't report them as missing. I can only assume that everyone else assumed they were out and didn't think to check.

Comment

Working...
        X