• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First world problems - cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First world problems - cars

I mentioned in an earlier thread I was looking at an MX5 as a 2nd car but that's a no go due to me being too long in the back to fit Now I'm thinking of replacing the main motor instead which is 6 years old. The new one I'm looking at, still to check that I fit, comes with a matte paint option which looks stunning. However has anyone had experience of such paint jobs and would the need to be gentle with the washing and avoiding commercial car washing be too onerous a requirement?

When you say new one do you mean brand new or new to you? If it's an old one I'd leave it alone. Matte paint wasn't that good back in the day and anything like bird poo or bad washing will damage it. It's only recently it's become more resistant but even so it's hand wash only and you'll have to look after it using proper polishes, clay bar etc. It still swirls and scratches and will be difficult to match should you need a bit of it respraying.

If you are using occasionally and don't mid spending a few hours on it at least a couple of times a year looking after it then fine. If it's used every day or your main run around I'd not bother. There are going to be some very tatty cars in the second hand market when people buy them and just chuck them through the car wash machine I reckon.

I'd be more tempted to get dark one and get a matte wrap for a couple of years I had it. When I sell there is the option to keep the wrap if it's good nick or return it back to its former colour.

EDIT : That said I do the full two bucket wash, clay bar, polish wax and ceramic on my baby 3 or 4 times a year so I'd seriously consider a matte one on the right car.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 January 2022, 10:30.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes agree, just too much hassle in the long term. This will be brand new and there are other colours that look good so I'll do the standard glossy finish. My lady valet isn't up to the job and would demand perfection (Virgo) I wouldn't be arsed to put enough effort in (Scorpio)

Comment

If it ain't got PDK it's worth sheet

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          If it ain't got PDK it's worth sheet

HTH

Yawn - ZF 7DT or 8DT?
          I'll stick with a ZF 8HP.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...