• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: H5N1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: H5N1

"First UK person to catch H5N1 bird flu strain is named

Alan Gosling, 79, tested positive having lived with about 20 ducks inside his home in Devon

The first person in the UK to catch a new strain of bird flu has been named as 79-year-old Alan Gosling, a retired engineer who lived with about 20 ducks inside his home in Devon.

Gosling, who had about another 100 ducks living outside on his property in Buckfastleigh, noticed several birds falling ill shortly before Christmas, Devon Live reports.

Subsequent tests by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Animal and Plant Health Agency (Apha) were returned positive for the H5N1 strain of avian flu. They were subsequently killed shortly after Christmas.

Gosling then tested positive for general flu virus and the H5N1 strain of avian flu – a first for the strain in the UK. The risk to the wider public continues to be very low, health officials have said, but people have been urged to not touch sick or dead birds.

Gosling reportedly welcomed about 20 of the birds into his home as pets after he began feeding the flock."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...train-is-named

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Alan Gosling, 79, tested positive having lived with about 20 ducks inside his home in Devon

<snip>

They were subsequently killed shortly after Christmas.
    A bit extreme, but at least they let him enjoy the festivities.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

A bit extreme, but at least they let him enjoy the festivities.
      We do things differently down Devon.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

COR!! - **** a duck!
        west country -

Comment

Gosling = a young goose, you couldn't make it up
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Gosling = a young goose, you couldn't make it up
            Not a great advert for nominative determinism...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	afdabdfb-de55-452b-b000-43e4d45f1094-61026d34-ceee-4645-9de4-d2d976333191.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	4199118
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There's been a lot of chicken choking going on with the current bird lockdown.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

but people have been urged to not touch sick or dead birds.
                  My cat brought in a bird this afternoon, what was I supposed to do - leave it on the carpet, or call Porton Down?

Maybe I should go and wash my hands.

Kneel before Bod

Comment

Whorty is always boasting about the sick birds he's had is hands all over.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X