• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tony Blair: Petition to block knighthood tops 700,000 signatures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59866084

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-m...rter-rescinded

Click image for larger version  Name:	tony.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	23.5 KB ID:	4198796
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 6 January 2022, 14:22.

And? It's the Queen's personal decision she's not going to change her mind.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So in spite of all the fecking boring publicity they only managed 1% of the population.

Every PM, unless actually convicted of serious misconduct (watch this space) should get the title. They have somehow become the leader of the nation FFS, that is enough. And it could be worse, without the monarchy we would probably be looking at President Blair; then again if William keeps taking chances flying all his family in a helicopter together we could be looking at King Harry and Queen woke!
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          So in spite of all the fecking boring publicity they only managed 1% of the population.

Every PM, unless actually convicted of serious misconduct (watch this space) should get the title. They have somehow become the leader of the nation FFS, that is enough. And it could be worse, without the monarchy we would probably be looking at President Blair; then again if William keeps taking chances flying all his family in a helicopter together we could be looking at King Harry and Queen woke!
          Assuming your first point is correct, the reason Blair got his gong was to allow subsequent PMs to get theirs, since these things have to progress in sequence. Which means those major statesmen Broon, Cameron and May can get theirs in due course.

But Bliar did involve us in a war that was unnecessary and illegal, and he was instrumental in opening our borders to a few million non-productive immigrants for purely personal political aims and he buggered up our finances by allowing Brown to set up a system to take all the money and give us back what he thought was fair.

It's the system that is at fault, clearly.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Iraq was idiotic but he does deserve credit for what he did in Northern Ireland.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In the end, was it concluded that Blair knew - or was remiss not checking - the intelligence, or that he acted reasonably based on the information he was given and couldn't have realistically known it was bogus?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Iraq was idiotic but he does deserve credit for what he did in Northern Ireland.
                He merely finished off work already in train by others, notably Mowlem and Major. And a few shadowy locals who will probably never get the credit they deserve. But since Blair's name is on the document (and all those get-out-of-jail-free letters...) he gets the credit.

As for Iraq, he was not misled and was aware that the intelligence was at best equivocal. It's fairly certain he knew there were no WMDs at Saddam's disposal.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Assuming your first point is correct, the reason Blair got his gong was to allow subsequent PMs to get theirs, since these things have to progress in sequence. Which means those major statesmen Broon, Cameron and May can get theirs in due course.

But Bliar did involve us in a war that was unnecessary and illegal, and he was instrumental in opening our borders to a few million non-productive immigrants for purely personal political aims and he buggered up our finances by allowing Brown to set up a system to take all the money and give us back what he thought was fair.

It's the system that is at fault, clearly.
                  Eh? I wasn't arguing against any of that. And yes it has been a point of contention for a long time that he was holding up the list, but as I've said, quite clearly, unless convicted of his deeds then he has to get it to stop it been a lottery on whether someone is liked or not. Thin edges of the wedge are made on contentious stuff as this.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Eh? I wasn't arguing against any of that. And yes it has been a point of contention for a long time that he was holding up the list, but as I've said, quite clearly, unless convicted of his deeds then he has to get it to stop it been a lottery on whether someone is liked or not. Thin edges of the wedge are made on contentious stuff as this.
                    OK, I agree. But the highest honour available? Could have given him a peerage, that would have had the same effect.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X