• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Film: Don't Look Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film: Don't Look Up

So all the reviews tell me this film was a metaphor for the climate crisis and if I didn't get that then I'd missed the point.

It could actually have been a metaphor for a number of things in my opinion and what business do critics have making such binary pronouncements unless the director of the film has expressly stated that that's the case?

I refer particularly to this piece, which appears to have been written by a 12 year old: Why it's Ok to Hate Don't Look Up

Not seen it, but I understand it to be a story about not listening to experts and dying as a result. Which to my mind is metaphor for the idiots who don't get vaccinated.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Not seen it, but I understand it to be a story about not listening to experts and dying as a result. Which to my mind is metaphor for the idiots who don't get vaccinated.
      The Covid Pandemic was certainly one of the things that crossed my mind while watching it.

The film itself was predictably doom and gloom laden and certainly would put a downer on your festive spirits should you give any credence to whatever message it is you think the film is trying to send.

The only good thing about it was Leo Di Caprio.
      Last edited by Roll Out The Farrell; 5 January 2022, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Roll Out The Farrell View Post
        It could actually have been a metaphor for a number of things in my opinion and what business do critics have making such binary pronouncements unless the director of the film has expressly stated that that's the case?
        It's their job to say what they think. Often it's a load of nonsense. Not news.

I quite liked the film but it's clearly (see I'm doing it too) quite on the nose to some pretty specific issues and as such I fear it will date pretty badly, and quickly. Something a bit different to pass a couple of hours. I was pretty impressed with the cast - apart from anything else how on earth thay a)got them all to do it b)managed to pay for it.

I liked the hats and the Elon pastiche.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I actually thought it was great, despite some pretty scathing reviews. It is silly and over the top, but a lot of fun (at least I thought so). As a commentary on the madness of our current situation wrt media, social media, pandemic, climate change, MAGA cult etc not exactly subtle but fairly on the nose. I thought there were quite a few funny lines and moments as well - it worked well enough as just an enjoyable watch.

Comment

Working...
          X