• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazing facts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing facts

This is an interesting fact I've just discovered:

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrmicro.2016.177

To help conceptualize the sheer number of viruses in existence, their current biomass has been estimated to equal that of 75 million blue whales (approximately 200 million tonnes) and, if placed end to end, the collective length of their virions would span 65 galaxies
    I'm alright Jack

I do love these facts that puts the size of stuff in perspective....but they aren't really facts are they. It's just an estimate.

There was that 'fact' years ago that the weight of all the ants in the world equals the weight of all the humans but someone took a quick look at the population growth and increase in average weight of people and it fell quite a way short of what they claimed.

Still pretty incredible but not really that accurate and certainly not a fact.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I do love these facts that puts the size of stuff in perspective....but they aren't really facts are they. It's just an estimate.

There was that 'fact' years ago that the weight of all the ants in the world equals the weight of all the humans but someone took a quick look at the population growth and increase in average weight of people and it fell quite a way short of what they claimed.

Still pretty incredible but not really that accurate and certainly not a fact.
      I was about to say 'and they say you're no fun at parties' and then I realised who I was talking to.

Comment

75 mln space whales

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I was about to say 'and they say you're no fun at parties' and then I realised who I was talking to.
          ..eh.. hang on.. what???
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Here you go....

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Another Amazing Fact (TM) is that the first Resident Evil film is 20 years old this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Another Amazing Fact (TM) is that the first Resident Evil film is 20 years old this year.
                ooh Milla Jockovich + tight leather= winner
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

ooh Milla Jockovich + tight leather= winner
                  You'll be on a register for that. And I'm not referring to the crap spelling...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

You'll be on a register for that. And I'm not referring to the crap spelling...
                    She's 46 so was a proper adult then.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X