• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just had an accident, need advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had an accident, need advice

This morning I was making a right turn into a very narrow drive and was hit by a garbage truck. I'm fine and the damage to my car is just a dent above the wheel well. The lorry driver refused to provide any documents but took my personal information and insurance details.
    I called my insurance and the claims guy said it was possible that who caused the accident could be disputed because it's my responsibility to check the way is clear before I change lanes. I'm surprised because I thought it was undoubtedly his fault since I was sitting there waiting to turn right with my right turn signal on and he passed me on the right and hit me.

I need some advice about how to handle the insurance. My car is a 2007 Skoda Roomster worth a couple grand at most. My excess is £400. The damage is a good sized dent above the wheel well but nothing that affects driving. I like the car and wouldn't mind keeping it but wouldn't mind a new one either.

Right away the insurance wants to know if I want to make a claim. Should I? My no claims bonus has gone down from 6 to 3 years.

Can anyone lay out my options? The dent is just a little too embarrassing to keep driving with it there.

I don't think you HAVE TO decide to make a claim straight away, even though insurance company obviously wants to know right away.

Not worth making a claim as it will be with you for 5 years, it's just a dent anyway, so what's the problem in a 2 grand car? You can probably fix it for less than £400, check quotes.

You'll now still have to declare that the accident took place, also I think for 5 years.

Your bigger problem is whether the driver will make the claim.

Comment

Oh dear, now you will have to declare that you've had an accident anyway and you haven't proof it wasn't your fault. Should have asked this before contacting insurance.

Sorry already answered!
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

It's a fairly basic thing that you should NOT base your actions on someone's indicators. I actually had a very similar thing when I first started driving, I was pulling into a car-park as someone overtook me - presumably thinking I was just pulled in.

I can't speak legally but if you pulled out into a moving car it sounds you are on dodgy ground though it is very easy to do - you check, indicate, and someone comes out of nowhere and you didn't check again.

Glad you are OK, most importantly. Was the truck damaged in any way?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Your no-claims has gone anyway as soon as you phoned up your insurance company. Never ever phone them saying you had form of incident unless you want to make a claim.

With vehicles like rubbish trucks and buses the company that owns them often (but not always) self-insures and they also have cameras on the vehicles. The drivers can lose their jobs if they hit too many people. If one hits you or you hit them, you just need to take the reg no and make sure you know the company who owns it e.g. take pictures of the vehicle plus its reg no on your mobile phone.

If you like your car then keep driving it. Due to it's age it is not worth fixing the dent, that is as long as it isn't going to rust. It is normal for old cars to have dents in them anyway.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Your no-claims has gone anyway as soon as you phoned up your insurance company.
            No.

No-claims will only go IF he makes claim (or claim made against him) _AND_ it was not guaranteeed not to go down, which is a bit of BS anyway since accident costs will have to be declared anyway and will be used to increase premiums in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              This morning I was making a right turn into a very narrow drive and was hit by a garbage truck. I'm fine and the damage to my car is just a dent above the wheel well. The lorry driver refused to provide any documents but took my personal information and insurance details.
              I called my insurance and the claims guy said it was possible that who caused the accident could be disputed because it's my responsibility to check the way is clear before I change lanes. I'm surprised because I thought it was undoubtedly his fault since I was sitting there waiting to turn right with my right turn signal on and he passed me on the right and hit me.

I need some advice about how to handle the insurance. My car is a 2007 Skoda Roomster worth a couple grand at most. My excess is £400. The damage is a good sized dent above the wheel well but nothing that affects driving. I like the car and wouldn't mind keeping it but wouldn't mind a new one either.

Right away the insurance wants to know if I want to make a claim. Should I? My no claims bonus has gone down from 6 to 3 years.

Can anyone lay out my options? The dent is just a little too embarrassing to keep driving with it there.
              If there is only minimal damage then don't bother claiming. The insurance company will hammer you over the coming years especially if this is your fault and even if it is not. We had a car stolen and burned out years ago and we made a claim we suffered for many years after no mater what they say!

If they are overtaking you as you are turning right then this sounds like their fault? But you don't really say exactly what happened and even if you did... I suspect (especially me) there are not too many experts in motor insurance claims on here.

With a car worth £2000 max and £400 excess the insurance company will write it off anyway.

If it's just a mere scratch as you say then just forget about claiming.

Comment

Just to be clear, I was on a two lane road that runs along Twickenham Green. I was in the left Lane, turning right into a small access road. I was signaling right and then turned right. The bin lorry hit me because he was trying to pass me by driving on the wrong side of the road. It wasn't obvious that you can turn there since it's the middle of the block and I was well over to the left since the road is very narrow and you need some room to straighten up. The lorry driver probably thought I was just sitting there waiting and he could pass.

So yes, I called the insurance company because I thought I was right and wanted to make a claim.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  It's a fairly basic thing that you should NOT base your actions on someone's indicators. I actually had a very similar thing when I first started driving, I was pulling into a car-park as someone overtook me - presumably thinking I was just pulled in.

I can't speak legally but if you pulled out into a moving car it sounds you are on dodgy ground though it is very easy to do - you check, indicate, and someone comes out of nowhere and you didn't check again.

Glad you are OK, most importantly. Was the truck damaged in any way?
                  I don't know, I didnt check for damage on the truck.
                  Last edited by hairymouse; 17 December 2021, 14:17.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    The dent is just a little too embarrassing to keep driving with it there.
                    Then put an equal shaped dent in the other side too. That way it'll look symmetrical and people will think it's a feature.

Comment

Working...
                    X